Awards from Clubs added - for anyone intere

JohnTurney

Re: Awards from Clubs added - for anyone intere

Post by JohnTurney »

Retro Rider wrote: I noticed that PFWA voted Tom Landry as NFL Coach of the Year in 1966, so I guess it's possible they could have selected Starr as MVP as well ... No Chapter Awards for Coach of the Year, other than Bud Grant in 1969.
I stand corrected. It's been a long time since I looked and forgot - when they announced the PFWA All-Pro
team they named Starr MVP, Roland ROY and Landry Coach.

If I'd have just looked at the spreadsheet, I'd have known . . . so both the NY chapter and the PFWA
as a whole had awards. So I need to correct the post on PFJ...it needs to show both.
Attachments
2023-05-29_17-46-02.jpg
2023-05-29_17-46-02.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

JohnTurney wrote: I stand corrected. It's been a long time since I looked and forgot - when they announced the PFWA All-Pro
team they named Starr MVP, Roland ROY and Landry Coach.

If I'd have just looked at the spreadsheet, I'd have known . . . so both the NY chapter and the PFWA
as a whole had awards. So I need to correct the post on PFJ...it needs to show both.
Great news, thanks for the update. Hopefully Pro Football Reference.com will update and credit Starr with the 1966 PFWA MVP as well. Their list starts with Fran Tarkenton in 1975.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

JohnTurney wrote: the PFWA-NY's Kapp in 69 and Alworth in 65, shows a bit of
a different take.
Those type of selections make things interesting. In addition to Kapp's N.Y. Chapter award and Detroit News POY honor, I have him down for these:

*1969 NFL Player of the Year*
Touchdown Club of Utica, NY
Pro Football Guide magazine
Minneapolis-St.Paul Minute Men

On a side note, many of Joe Kapp's personal items from his playing career have been listed on ebay over the past several months, including trophies and awards.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=27 ... llectmyway