Started by luckyshow, Dec 02 2013 12:17 PM
Hartford Giants
5 replies to this topic

#1 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Years ago, Proquest had a month long tease of including the historic run of the Hartford Courant and Boston Globe in my library's access. Then removed them and I think I now have to go too Hartford to find it again. I can try inadequate research through the inept Google News Archive search (one can't even access page 2 of any search anymore, the interface is that messed up).

Problem is they don't include every issue which makes adequate research impossible. I want to see issues from 1929. 10/7 10/21 10/28 11/4
And dates in 1928 11/19 11/26

But these seem to not exist on line. Is this Proquest ineptness or Google's.

Does anyone have full Hartford Courant access for 1929? I presume I am inquiring about actual microfilm.. Ir can tell me of availability in the New York area.

Thank you

#2 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:34 PM
I don't recall that Google News Archive ever had the Hartford Courant. Newspaperarchive has a long run of papers from Bridgeport. Since you have exact dates, you can probably put in a call to the microfilm desk at the Hartford Public Library (860-695-6300) to request copies of specific articles. If the images can be sent as e-mail attachments, the charge would probably be minimal. My experience is that library staffers like the break from their usual tasks. It's worth making a call before making a drive.

#3 Veeshik_ya
Starter
Forum Visitors
112 posts
Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:39 PM
Proquest Historical Newspapers carries the Hartford Courant back to 1765. I did a quick check of the dates you listed (although I don't know what you're searching for, so I just searched for "football") and came up with many hits.

#4 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

On a related note, In Google, the News Archives option seems gone, so they finaally have killed it outright. Does anyone know how to summon up the newspapers they had in it?

#5 LJP
Starter
Forum Visitors
212 posts
Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

http://news.google.com/newspapers

#6 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:05 PM
Still, if I hadn't bookmarked it, I would have had a hell of a time finding it now. Also, the search page is hard to find and it's not as good as it once was, but Tod Maher or someone pointed out that it's still available. Try following this link, then substitute your search term and date range https://www.google.c...958,cd_max:1959
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister