2014 BCS National Championship Game
Started by Mark L. Ford, Jan 06 2014 01:30 PM

16 replies to this topic

#1 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

The best thing about tonight's BCS National Championship Game is that it is the very last BCS National Championship Game. As with the last seven of these, it's the latest SEC champion vs. the other of the top 2 teams in the nation. Next season, the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl will be on New Year's Day 2015, and the two winners will meet in the title game a week and a half later. Hopefully, those playoffs will be limited to four teams for a long time. Leave the four round stuff to the pros.

#2 Greg Gubi
Rookie
Forum Visitors
12 posts
Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Walter Camp wrote in 1887: “This halfway manner of settling a championship is only productive of further dissension and gives plenty of ground to the press and the public for ridiculing the association.” Still working out the kinks 127 years later.

#3 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

How many rounds do they have in DII and DIII and whatever they now call the lower level DI (used to be 1A)?

#4 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

It's a five round playoff for what used to be the I-AA schools (now they call it Division I) and it includes 24 teams, with 8 of them getting byes in the first round. I hope Roger Goodell doesn't get any ideas.

#5 Guest_BigMck_*
Guests
Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

Mark L. Ford, on 06 Jan 2014 - 1:30 PM, said:
The best thing about tonight's BCS National Championship Game is that it is the very last BCS National Championship Game. As with the last seven of these, it's the latest SEC champion vs. the other of the top 2 teams in the nation. Next season, the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl will be on New Year's Day 2015, and the two winners will meet in the title game a week and a half later. Hopefully, those playoffs will be limited to four teams for a long time. Leave the four round stuff to the pros.

We will still have the Conference Playoffs which will act like another level to the playoffs. It should be a lot of fun.

#6 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

I as a college football fan am really looking forward to the playoff format. Nothing better than adding a real playoff format onto the college football regular season (which is pretty much a playoff format unto itself). I can see them going up to eight teams eventually but doubt they will add many more than that. If they start allowing to many teams into the playoffs it will become no different than the nfl regular season or the college basketball regular season (where teams know they can lose several games and still easily make the playoffs so individual games in the regular season end up meaning little.

#7 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

As BigMcK points out, however, the conference championship games add another level. The big ones would be for the SEC, the Pac-12, the Big Ten and the ACC, each with twelve or fourteen teams. Not sure why the Big 12 has no title game

#8 74_75_78_79_
Veteran
Forum Visitors
702 posts
Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'm all for this playoff format and 4 teams is just fine. Of course there will always be controversy over the 4th place team selected or maybe even the 3rd, but a much lesser evil it will be. If you're that far away from #1 then that's simply the breaks. Only things I'd like to see them do differently is have all conferences have a title game, and then on the following weekend have your 'final four' (#4 at #1, #3 at #2) and have the winners, of course, play in the NCG weeks later and either have the losers play each other in one of the other major bowls or match each one up against two other teams, perhaps #5 and #6 respectively. And back to the conference title games, get rid of the divisions in all conferences. Have the top-two play each other instead of risk the top-two being stuck in the same division.

#9 Rupert Patrick
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
2,442 posts
Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

lastcat3, on 11 Jan 2014 - 1:19 PM, said:
I as a college football fan am really looking forward to the playoff format. Nothing better than adding a real playoff format onto the college football regular season (which is pretty much a playoff format unto itself). I can see them going up to eight teams eventually but doubt they will add many more than that. If they start allowing to many teams into the playoffs it will become no different than the nfl regular season or the college basketball regular season (where teams know they can lose several games and still easily make the playoffs so individual games in the regular season end up meaning little.

I would support eight teams in the College Football playoffs, one for each of the major conference winners plus the highest at large team.

#10 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually have four conferences that each have 16 teams in them. Of course, some of the perennial losers might eventually be forced out. For every Auburn, there's a Kentucky, and for every Ohio State, there's a Northwestern.

#11 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

edit

#12 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Rupert Patrick, on 11 Jan 2014 - 6:37 PM, said:
I would support eight teams in the College Football playoffs, one for each of the major conference winners plus the highest at large team.

No having all the conference champions get in would be ridiculous because everyone knows that in college football the best eight teams in the country do not all come from separate conferences.

The nfl is the one who needs to rethink their playoff format when 8-8 and 7-9 teams get in just for winning sorry sack divisions.

#13 TouchdownTimmy
Starter
Forum Visitors
326 posts
Interests:Almost anything to do with football and sports on the field. I am not big into celebrity or social media. I just like watching and talking about sports. Football is my game and I have been following since I was five back in 1971.
Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

I hate mediocrity, but if a team wins its division I have no problem with them hosting a playoff game no matter what their record. It may not seem fair to win 12 and have to go on the road to play against a team that has won 8 or 9, but who said life is fair? If the 12 win team is good enough they will prove it. Besides home field doesn't guarantee anything as the last three Super Bowl champions have proven.

So with the new college playoff do the lower tier bowl games become more irrelevant? I'm gonna see if I can get one in my home town. How does the Aquasco, Md. "Tobacco Bowl" sound?

#14 John Grasso
Starter
Board of Directors
350 posts
Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

TouchdownTimmy, on 11 Jan 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:
I hate mediocrity, but if a team wins its division I have no problem with them hosting a playoff game no matter what their record. It may not seem fair to win 12 and have to go on the road to play against a team that has won 8 or 9, but who said life is fair? If the 12 win team is good enough they will prove it. Besides home field doesn't guarantee anything as the last three Super Bowl champions have proven.

So with the new college playoff do the lower tier bowl games become more irrelevant? I'm gonna see if I can get one in my home town. How does the Aquasco, Md. "Tobacco Bowl" sound?
You need a local sponsor - something like Joe & Vinny's Aquasco Pizzeria - two for the price of one Bowl

#15 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

John Grasso, on 12 Jan 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:
You need a local sponsor - something like Joe & Vinny's Aquasco Pizzeria - two for the price of one Bowl

But it couldn't be the Tobacco Bowl then, could it? Wouldn't it have to be the Joe and Vinny's Aquasco Pizzeria Bowl?

#16 TouchdownTimmy
Starter
Forum Visitors
326 posts
Interests:Almost anything to do with football and sports on the field. I am not big into celebrity or social media. I just like watching and talking about sports. Football is my game and I have been following since I was five back in 1971.
Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

You guys are kilin' me!!!

#17 Porky
Starter
Forum Visitors
123 posts
Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

You still will see everyone wanting to have the SEC's baby, meaning it will be SEC team vs. some other lying, cheating, pay-for-play school... or SEC vs. SEC.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister