Reconciling the whole Browns/Ravens issue

ChrisBabcock

Re: Reconciling the whole Browns/Ravens issue

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Modell did contact the Irsay family about buying the rights to the name "Colts".
I'd be curious as to how that conversation went, and if anything possibly could have come from it.
Mark L. Ford

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Modell's quote about it was "I told him [Jim Irsay] since I was leaving the legacy [in Cleveland], it would be nice to restore the tradition in Baltimore... He said he felt it was highly improbable. He didn't shut the door, but he didn't open it either. Right now, I have my foot stuck in it." (The metaphorical door, of course, rather than his own mouth or ankle deep in something). Irsay pretty well closed the door when he told reporters that "We have no plans of ever letting the name go". No word on what Irsay's response was when Modell said "it would be nice" statement, but I imagine that it wasn't nice.

I didn't know this before, but Bob Irsay had had a stroke in November 1995, the same month that Modell announced that he was moving the team, and Jim Irsay took over all the operations at that point and Modell did all the talking to him.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »