Random NFL tidbits/stats that you find interesting...

Gary Najman

Re: Random NFL tidbits/stats that you find interesting...

Post by Gary Najman »

sheajets wrote:
JWL wrote:Sunday's 49ers at Redskins game was the 276th one in major pro football history that did not have at least one touchdown scored in it.
Weird question but I wondered the other day if there were any games where there were more safeties scored in it than field goals? And 0 td's of course

I don't think there was ever a 2-2 game that went into OT that was decided by a FG. How odd would it be to have a 3-2 game late...bad snap on a punt out of the endzone that ends 4-3.

Or a 7-0 shutout where one team had 1 fg and 2 safeties
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 300ram.htm

The Giants-Rams game in 1984 had 3 safeties and 2 field goals (all five scoring plays made by the Rams).
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Teo wrote:
sheajets wrote:
JWL wrote:Sunday's 49ers at Redskins game was the 276th one in major pro football history that did not have at least one touchdown scored in it.
Weird question but I wondered the other day if there were any games where there were more safeties scored in it than field goals? And 0 td's of course

I don't think there was ever a 2-2 game that went into OT that was decided by a FG. How odd would it be to have a 3-2 game late...bad snap on a punt out of the endzone that ends 4-3.

Or a 7-0 shutout where one team had 1 fg and 2 safeties
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 300ram.htm

The Giants-Rams game in 1984 had 3 safeties and 2 field goals (all five scoring plays made by the Rams).
We've talked about it before here, but it was the most bizarre game in pro football history. In addition to the aforementioned, the Rams failed to field the opening kickoff and Phil McConkey recovered it in the end zone for a Giants touchdown, New York missed both of their extra points after their touchdowns, and at one point, the netting that they put up behind the goal posts to keep field goals and extra points from going into the stands was being lowered and became ensnared in one of the goal posts and pulled down the goal post, stopping play for about ten minutes while they fixed the goal post.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

That in the Packers-Bears rivalry - dating back to 1921 when the Staleys relocated to Chicago but before they renamed as the Bears and the Packers joined the one-season old APFA - the Bears took the lead in the series in their second meeting of the 1933 season. The Bears then held that lead for more than 80 seasons until the Packers tied the series in 2016 and regained the lead with a win in the first meeting of 2017.

The Bears took the lead in winning the 27th meeting. The Packers regained it in the 196th meeting.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bryan wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:The 49ers have never had a great player wear #49.
1980 Earl Cooper greatest WCO FB ever!

I re-read this entire thread and enjoyed the oddities a great deal.

Two thoughts on this particular idea:
As much as I love Earl Cooper I would opine that Roger Craig was the "Best West Coast Offense Fullback" in the NFL.
Jeff Fuller might have (eventually) been the best 49er to wear number 49 but...
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Davey O'Brien's 1940 season is definitely one of my favorite trivia. He officially rushed 100 times for -180 yards that year. While a lot of sacks are included in that figure, as I demonstrated in another thread, even after parceling them out he almost certainly ran the ball 60+ times for negative yardage. No other player ever did anything like this. Why do modern writeups about DOB basically never mention this astounding feat of his?

Raymond Berry once had 75 catches in a season without a touchdown. The previous year, Berry had 1298 yards and 10 TDs... and one less reception, 74, than in the 0TD season.

No receiver has ever averaged a per game pace that would put them over 2000 yards in a 16 game season. Elroy Hirsch in 1951 was on a 1993 yard pace. Charlie Hennigan in 1961 was on... a 1995 yard pace.

The Eagles were down a defensive end in 1952. Being the franchise that had recently turned the aforementioned collegiate legend O'Brien into the worst player imaginable, they just couldn't go out and pick up a defensive end like everyone else would. No, they had to turn Pete Pihos, a tight end and their best receiving threat, into a full time DE. What could possibly go wrong?!... as it turned out, he was an All-Pro, and was credited with a 6-sack game. He still shifted full time back to TE the next year, though.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Just posted this on my FB page but thought it fit this thread as well ...

Jim Wagstaff, Billy Atkins and Richie McCabe played together in the Bills' defensive backfield 1960-61. Many years later, they did something that I don't believe has ever happened before or since. Atkins served as the Bills' defensive backfield coach 1972-75. He was replaced by McCabe, who served 1976-77 (his second stint, actually). He was then replaced by Wagstaff, who served 1978-80. How's that for things that make you go, "hmmmmmm …"?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JameisLoseston wrote:
The Eagles were down a defensive end in 1952. Being the franchise that had recently turned the aforementioned collegiate legend O'Brien into the worst player imaginable, they just couldn't go out and pick up a defensive end like everyone else would. No, they had to turn Pete Pihos, a tight end and their best receiving threat, into a full time DE. What could possibly go wrong?!... as it turned out, he was an All-Pro, and was credited with a 6-sack game. He still shifted full time back to TE the next year, though.
Pihos played both ways from 1947 through 1951, so it wasn't that big a deal. He also occasionally played fullback throughout his career.
JWL

Post by JWL »

sheajets wrote:The Jets have still never beaten the Eagles and won't get another chance at it until 2023 (unless some improbable SB happens)
Because of the 17th game, the Jets need not wait until 2023. They can get the job done on 12/5/2021.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JWL wrote:
sheajets wrote:The Jets have still never beaten the Eagles and won't get another chance at it until 2023 (unless some improbable SB happens)
Because of the 17th game, the Jets need not wait until 2023. They can get the job done on 12/5/2021.
Yep. I did not see that coming. I could swear we had it during the Eric Allen game. But of course...Rich Kotite and Bubby Brister, if those two are going to mount the performance of a lifetime vs anyone, it was going to be against the Jets. I mean who blows 21-0 leads to Kotite and Brister?

It was 28 years ago and it's still bothering me
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Of the 30 teams that played in the first 15 Super Bowls, only 11 started the same quarterback in every regular season game. Only five of the 15 champions did.