Your favorite NFL names

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby RichardBak » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:17 pm

The 1953 and '54 Lions had two Bob Smiths on the roster. One was a standout fullback from Texas A&M whose pro career was limited to 15 games by injury; the other was a longtime DB-P who was an original member of Chris's Crew secondary. Both were native Texans. To keep them straight, reporters and teammates referred to the FB as "Texas Bob" and the DB as "Tulsa Bob," based on where they played college ball.

A few years later, another Bob Smith popped up on the Lions. They just called him Bob.
RichardBak
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby Saban » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:04 pm

How about Jarrin Chick Jagade. Jarrin Chick would often knock over players who were trying to tackle him. He would run hard and Paul Brown noticed him when he played for Baltimore in the AAFC in 1949. Brown said that he liked Jagade's reckless style of running.

Jagade missed the 1950 season due to a broken foot. The Colts franchise folded after the 1950 season and the NFL teams were allowed to draft the Colts players, which is how the 49ers got Y.A. Tittle. Chick wasn't drafted, so was a free agent in 1951. Jagade showed up in the Cleveland Browns training camp in 1951 and made the team.

Chick played mostly on special teams in 1951. In 1952 he became the starting fullback for the Browns at about the 10th game of that season. He was a good one.
Saban
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby RichardBak » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:25 pm

Saban wrote:How about Jarrin Chick Jagade. Jarrin Chick would often knock over players who were trying to tackle him. He would run hard and Paul Brown noticed him when he played for Baltimore in the AAFC in 1949. Brown said that he liked Jagade's reckless style of running.

Jagade missed the 1950 season due to a broken foot. The Colts franchise folded after the 1950 season and the NFL teams were allowed to draft the Colts players, which is how the 49ers got Y.A. Tittle. Chick wasn't drafted, so was a free agent in 1951. Jagade showed up in the Cleveland Browns training camp in 1951 and made the team.

Chick played mostly on special teams in 1951. In 1952 he became the starting fullback for the Browns at about the 10th game of that season. He was a good one.


Harry "Chick" Jagade was indeed a good one. Those title-winning LIons teams of the '50s had their hands full with Jagade (pronounced Ja-gah-dee). I know Joe Schmidt had mucho respect for him, probably because Chick ripped through his arms a couple times. Jagade played in the 1952 and '53 championship games vs. Detroit, and even though Cleveland lost each time, it wasn't because of Jagade. He scored the Browns' only TD in each of those losses. And his stats were remarkably similar in those games:

1952. 15 carries, 104 yards, 1 TD, 6.9 avg.
1953. 15 carries, 102 yards, 1 TD, 6.8 avg.

So, in championship play against one of the premier defenses of the decade, "Jarrin' Jagade" had 206 yards rushing and 2 TD with a 6.9 avg. Throw in 46 yards on KO returns and another 18 yards receiving, and Jagade racked up 270 all-purpose yards in 2 title games. The guy deserved a championship---which the Browns got in '54, but by then Chick was with the Bears.
RichardBak
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby JameisLoseston » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:25 pm

RichardBak wrote:The 1953 and '54 Lions had two Bob Smiths on the roster. One was a standout fullback from Texas A&M whose pro career was limited to 15 games by injury; the other was a longtime DB-P who was an original member of Chris's Crew secondary. Both were native Texans. To keep them straight, reporters and teammates referred to the FB as "Texas Bob" and the DB as "Tulsa Bob," based on where they played college ball.

A few years later, another Bob Smith popped up on the Lions. They just called him Bob.


And now... there are no more Bobs. This is an emergency.
JameisLoseston
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:39 am

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby RichardBak » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:37 pm

JameisLoseston wrote:
RichardBak wrote:The 1953 and '54 Lions had two Bob Smiths on the roster. One was a standout fullback from Texas A&M whose pro career was limited to 15 games by injury; the other was a longtime DB-P who was an original member of Chris's Crew secondary. Both were native Texans. To keep them straight, reporters and teammates referred to the FB as "Texas Bob" and the DB as "Tulsa Bob," based on where they played college ball.

A few years later, another Bob Smith popped up on the Lions. They just called him Bob.


And now... there are no more Bobs. This is an emergency.



The Packers just released Jaylon Smith today. This comes after Dallas released him a few weeks ago.

Time to consider a name change, Jaylon....to Bob.
RichardBak
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby RichardBak » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:05 pm

Gunner Olszewski.

He sounds like he could've been a Polish tank commander in World War II.
RichardBak
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby Ronfitch » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:02 pm

RichardBak wrote:Gunner Olszewski.

He sounds like he could've been a Polish tank commander in World War II.


That might be a short career.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
User avatar
Ronfitch
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:41 am
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby Lee Elder » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:03 am

Retro Rider wrote:Bucky Pope
Smokey Stover
Vitamin T. Smith
Preston Ridlehuber
Glenn Lumpy Hyde
Guy Whimper
Dick Wood
Otto Stowe
Wonder Monds (Wonderful Terrific Monds Jr.)


(Bucky) Pope and Deacon (Jones) were teammates on the Rams. Had a Quarterback named Roman (Gabriel) and a defensive back named (Irv) Cross. I'm going to stop now.
Lee Elder
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby JameisLoseston » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 pm

How has no one mentioned Whitney Mercilus?
JameisLoseston
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:39 am

Re: Your favorite NFL names

Postby JWL » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:05 pm

Rachad Wildgoose- as soon as he is activated for a game. He is currently on the Jets practice squad.
JWL
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:35 pm
Location: New Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rhickok1109 and 43 guests