0 - 17?

racepug

0 - 17?

Post by racepug »

Could the Detroit Lions go 0 - 17 in the very first season that the N.F.L. has a 17-game regular season? I think it's a real possibility. Looking at the rest of their schedule I don't see too many (if any) games that they figure to be favored in. In short: it's probably going to take an upset for them to achieve even one victory this season.
RichardBak

Re: 0 - 17?

Post by RichardBak »

I'm tempted to say the Lions are so bad they could go 0-18 in the NFL's first 17-game season. There's holes everywhere. What's actually worse, they're also just downright snakebit---losing a couple 19-17 games on walk-off FGs this year, including the longest boot in league history. They were competitive early on, and could be 3-5 or 4-4 instead of 0-8.

That said, having watched this team for what seems centuries, it usually notches one unexpected win just about every season. (Of course, you can probably say that about most teams.) Maybe they go into Green Bay on the last day of the season, the Packers have already clinched their seeding so they rest their regulars, and so the 0-16 Lions leave town as the 1-16 Lions. Progress!

I've said from the start that QB Goff and HC Campbell are not the answer, and so far I've been vindicated. (Although I like Campbell's passion, honesty, and willingness to gamble.) Also predicted Stafford would flourish in new surroundings, and so far so good. I'll go as far as to say LA will make it to the NFC title game, one step from a Super Bowl appearance/win that will greatly boost Stafford's HOF credentials. I figure Stafford's got another 5-6 solid years ahead of him, which will allow him to build up his already impressive numbers, and a few deep postseason runs will burnish his rep. And let's not forget the importance of playing in LA as opposed to Detroit in terms of national exposure. Playing for a perennial loser in Motown has hurt Stafford's reputation, but he's a gritty performer who's more than capable of taking a team all the way. I know there's some on this board who don't think much of the guy, but Stafford's led more 4Q comebacks than all but maybe a half-dozen other QBs in history, including a record 8 in one season. He also got to 30,000 and 40,000 career yards faster than any other QB, and those weren't all junk yards. And, being an old catcher myself, I love the way he occasionally chucks the ball sidearm, like he's trying to catch a runner napping on first.

So, to summarize---Lions suck, Stafford rocks. At least now I have a team to root for.
Last edited by RichardBak on Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racepug

Post by racepug »

RichardBak wrote:Maybe they go into Green Bay on the last day of the season, the Packers have already clinched their seeding so they rest their regulars, and so the 0-16 Lions leave town as the 1-16 Lions. Progress!
I thought about that but I seriously doubt that if it comes down to that that the Green Bay Packers will want to be DET's only victim of the season whether they've clinched a playoff spot by then or not.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Forget it guys ... the Lions might have tanked against Philly but they wont tank the season. They will have at least two wins. The question is, if players arent willing to play for the HC, how quickly will roster changes result in their first win?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Feels like it'll get to Thanksgiving and we'll have the yearly complaining from people that don't understand or don't like tradition: "why do the Lions always get to play on Thanksgiving?!" ... then the Lions will get their first win and it'll be a feel-good story for about 15 minutes until the Raiders-Cowboys game starts.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:the Lions might have tanked against Philly but they wont tank the season.
Who said anything about "tanking"? I just don't know if they're good enough to beat any team left on their schedule.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

These ongoing struggles in Motown for decades now simply has to make one appreciate Wayne Fontes! You can say that they could have had a better coach during that time but for he to post four playoffs berths under that bad ongoing ownership definitely something to say. Mariucci wasn't able to garner success during his time as HC. Bobby Ross should get kudos in his brief time and also Caldwell with his three winning seasons in a four year span - two of them playoff berths.

It is a shame about this current campaign thus far. Yes, they lost some close ones that otherwise could have still kept them in the race. Them going for it on 4th-down last Sunday at the end of the half instead of simply kicking a FG to be down 17-3 was rough to see; fans booing and all. I do like Campbell's fire though! Reminiscent of Cowher when he first arrived in the 'Burgh. Only, sadly, he won right off the bat.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

My barber for many years also used to cut Fontes's hair. My barber used to tell me, "One day you're gonna miss Fontes." At the time I thought he was crazy. Now he looks like a prophet.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

I don't think the Lions are that bad. They are competitive sometimes when you don't expect them to be. Houston, at least, seems worse to me. If they do go winless, it'll be purely because of schedule imbalance, because they really do have no breaks, and will make it an issue that should probably be brought to the competition committee for next year.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

As for Stafford - I knew he'd improve in LA, but not this much. Seriously, I'm obviously rooting for Brady to be MVP, but Stafford is absolutely the pick right now and could have it all but locked up with a few games to go at this rate. His current ANY/A is second only to 2004 Peyton. It has changed my perspective on him completely, and on how horrendous the Lions organization is. It's a shame Barry and Megatron could never get out of there.