Could 2021 be first year a WHOLE division makes playoffs??

74_75_78_79_

Could 2021 be first year a WHOLE division makes playoffs??

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

After nine weeks, everyone in the AFC West is above-500! The same will apply in the AFC North if 4-3 Pittsburgh wins or ties tomorrow night against Chicago! With now seven teams making the playoffs per-conference in this 4-4-4-4 format, this only further reminds us that any year a last-place team can possibly hoist the Lombardi end-of-day! Just another example of there simply being too many teams in the playoffs; especially in this divisional format!

Of course in '35, in the four-team Western Division, you had Lions atop at 7-3-2, Green Bay in second (only because ties didn't count) at 8-4-0 (not to mention Packers sweeping Lions), and - rounding things out - both the Bears & Cardinals each at...6-4-2! But not "everyone" got in - as it should be!

Even if there were only two divisions per-conference at eight teams apiece, seven playoff teams would still be too much. But it'd be quite better than in this, here, 4x4!
racepug

Re: Could 2021 be first year a WHOLE division makes playoffs

Post by racepug »

I don't disagree that the N.F.L. has somewhat "cheapened" the post-season by adding two more teams to the mix but on the other hand I'd rather see 4 (deserving) teams from one division make the playoffs than a division winner with a mediocre record make it.
racepug

Re: Could 2021 be first year a WHOLE division makes playoffs

Post by racepug »

As of right now I think it would be perfectly reasonable to have 12 teams in the playoffs from the A.F.C. this season. 12 teams! Could you imagine?

On the other hand you could, in my opinion, stop at 5 for the N.F.C. this year and you'd be just fine.