Aaron Rodgers

JameisLoseston

Re: Aaron Rodgers

Post by JameisLoseston »

Thankfully, I don't see any imminent political bickering on the horizon at the moment.

Anyways, I wonder if Rodgers is doing this to further force himself out of Green Bay? Surely he couldn't have imagined that deceiving the team and not following protocols would make them look more fondly on him... and we know he wants out.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Ken Crippen wrote:If we want to talk about his play on the field, have at it. Let's leave the political stuff out of the thread. Thank you.
This topic shouldn't be considered "political" because choosing to get vaccinated is about health, not politics.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Ken Crippen wrote:If we want to talk about his play on the field, have at it. Let's leave the political stuff out of the thread. Thank you.
Thank you Ken.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

racepug wrote:
This topic shouldn't be considered "political" because choosing to get vaccinated is about health, not politics.

This. ^
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JohnH19 wrote:
racepug wrote:

This. ^
I disagree and think it would be wise to close the topic on these boards.
But I will be happy to discuss the subject as long as the topic is open.

Saying the issue is "health" (in the current environment) implies that there is some debate about the science of the situation which there is not among the vast majority of those learned in the subject matter. Meaning doctors and biologists, not politicians and talking heads.

The real issue is individual liberty versus responsibility to the group/culture/society; and that discussion is inherently political. And this is decidedly not the place to discuss it.

BUT, if we wish to "keep it within the lines" we could discuss how Rogers' behavior has affected his team and his place on it. His absence almost certainly cost his team a game this weekend and that could cost them a bye.

I also wonder how others in the Packers' organization feel about Rogers now. And that includes owners, coaches and teammates. That could affect the team and his position on it and therefore their success for the remainder of the season... and possibly beyond.

The whole situation seems odd to me because the lesson I learned from football (and sought to teach to those who came along after me) was that the team is more important than any one individual and when we all accept that and strive for the common good everyone benefits. You win or lose as a team.

I think others who feel this way (about the nature of a "team") may be less than pleased with Mr. Rogers' decision making.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

It seems clear to me that Rodgers does not care all too much about how the Packers do this season, and his primary motivation for playing well is to audition for the new team he's going to be on next year. I'm sure he'd rather be on the field right now, but I doubt he's at all displeased that Jordan Love went out there and got dunked by a hideous Chiefs team, either.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

I laughed when people felt betrayed and lied to because Rodgers originally chose his words deliberately.

Fair play to him. That's many weeks he got to avoid daily nonsense from media hassling him and demanding to know his vaccination status. Of course, he has to go through this now, at the moment. Though, he basically got to skip daily nonsense for half the season and gets to get it all out of the way now. As opposed to saying from the jump that he wasn't vaccinated, which would have led to typical media: week 1 "did you lose because you're not vaccinated?" and week 2 "When are you going to get vaccinated?" and week 3 "it's your fault people are dying from covid because you're not vaccinated!" and so on.

It's weird, people think they're owed knowing who, what and if athletes, celebrities, famous people are vaccinated or not. It somehow makes them feel better or something? "[rich famous person] and I are both vaxxed, we're the same!" Yeah, okay.

As for whether or not the discussion is political, of course it is. When is anything like this not a political discussion? Always comes down to pick-a-side politics. I don't get it but for whatever reason most people seemingly get some odd [faux] sense of belonging that comes with self-labeling oneself liberal/conservative. That aside, we'd be showing a pretty big lack of collective intelligence if we pretend none of the discussion is political. As if we can't all guess various poster's political leanings based on their post(s)? I got $5 on the who the OP voted for. I mean, c'mon.

Playing dumb is unbecoming.

"It's totally not political, if he would just do what I want him to do, that I want him to do because of my political ideology and because my self-labeled political side told me what to think and I can't think for myself and he shouldn't be allowed to either, then there would be no problem" is essentially what's being said out there in the comment sections and in the social network/media world. Lets at least be real about it.

Personally, whether I agree or not, or think he's a weird guy or whatever, I always respect people that can think for themselves and don't do something just because that's what they think they have to do as part of their political side of choice.

Definitely not going to sit around doing a sad mom voice saying Rodgers disappointed me, as if he's my child or something. He's the same age as me, was in the same grade, we both went off to play JUCO football as QBs at the same time (spoiler alert: one of us ended up in the NFL, the other ended up here) and so on. In other words, he's an adult and can make adult decisions for himself. Good luck to him, maybe sit out this Sunday's game, though.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Say what you will, he's gotta lose the ponytail.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I wouldn't begrudge anyone a "Say it ain't so, Joe" moment in this case. Parsing words the way Rodgers did might not technically be lying, but his intention clearly was to deceive. And his efforts to blame the blowback on "the woke mob" and "cancel culture" are just plain cowardly. If you saw him as a reasonably bright, principled guy...yeah, it's a letdown. This will dog him for as long as he plays, and he has nobody to point the finger at but himself. Choose your heroes carefully.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Reaser wrote:"It's totally not political, if he would just do what I want him to do, that I want him to do because of my political ideology and because my self-labeled political side told me what to think and I can't think for myself and he shouldn't be allowed to either, then there would be no problem" is essentially what's being said out there in the comment sections and in the social network/media world. Lets at least be real about it.
Implying AR is thinking for himself, but his critics aren't, isn't fair imo, especially if the OP ($5 bet) is lumped into that group. Like you said, let's not play dumb and act like choosing certain words AR chose (woke and cancel culture) isn't him politicizing it.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 11 times in total.