'85 Vikings - Bud Grant's "comeback"/final season

74_75_78_79_

'85 Vikings - Bud Grant's "comeback"/final season

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

If you read the SI '85 preview issue, it says how Steckel shouldn't be totally blamed for last year in that Minny under Grant was dwindling as of late anyway, especially defensively. They were predicted to finish 3-13 again! Well, not too bad an "encore" for Grant considering the debacle he did inherit from the year prior. He wins the opener against the defending-Champ, Forty Niners. Not just gave the Rams a good one in LA but also da Bears in their first meeting, the one where McMahon came in and blew things up; but still was close throughout. And though Bears pulled away in the end, the VIkes kept it respectable-enough going into the 4th Q in the rematch at Soldier. The team started at 2-0, 3-1, 4-3, and FWIW were 5-4 after Week #9. Pulled off that big comeback at Vet! This was Chris Doleman's rookie year, Anthony Carter's first season from the USFL. Pete Carroll was on staff and also was Marc Trestman who, like Bud, would go on to win some Grey Cups as well. Burnsie was back on staff with Bud simply resetting the '86 table for him. Of course many can say that Burns should have been the guy in '84 to begin with, but still a notable "last hurrah" of sorts for Grant in this, here, final stand.

Thoughts?
JWL

Re: '85 Vikings - Bud Grant's "comeback"/final season

Post by JWL »

When I was a young boy and started to follow the NFL in 1984 and understand things, the Vikings were one of the league laughingstocks. I was too young to know this at the time, but Steckel was too tough on the players and they did not like playing for him. It was a veteran team in decline and Bud Grant coached lighter to keep the players fresher into seasons. Steckel pushed too hard. He had a military background and the team did not respond to his methods.

The Vikings were competitive in 1985 and you could see they were on the rise. I remember telling kids in school that the Vikings will be making the playoffs in a year or two.
7DnBrnc53

Re: '85 Vikings - Bud Grant's "comeback"/final season

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JWL wrote:When I was a young boy and started to follow the NFL in 1984 and understand things, the Vikings were one of the league laughingstocks. I was too young to know this at the time, but Steckel was too tough on the players and they did not like playing for him. It was a veteran team in decline and Bud Grant coached lighter to keep the players fresher into seasons. Steckel pushed too hard. He had a military background and the team did not respond to his methods.

The Vikings were competitive in 1985 and you could see they were on the rise. I remember telling kids in school that the Vikings will be making the playoffs in a year or two.
I wasn't too high on the Vikes after 1985, but after 86, definitely. I had them going to the Super Bowl in 1987, which they almost did.