What is your personal "GOAT progression"?

JameisLoseston

Re: What is your personal "GOAT progression"?

Post by JameisLoseston »

SixtiesFan wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote:Was that the stupidest trade in NFL history? Jim Ninowski had one of the worst starting tenures in history with the Lions. Meanwhile, Milt Plum was pretty fresh off a season with a PR of like 110.
Milt Plum criticized Paul Brown for not letting him call the plays. Brown traded Plum as fast as he could. The Browns also got DE Bill Glass in the multi-player deal.

In his 1979 memoir (which I haven't read in a long time) Paul Brown rapped Milt Plum so harshly you wondered why Brown allowed Plum to be his starting QB for several years. Brown indicated, in so many words, that Plum had proven to be inadequate, so maybe Ninowski would be the answer.
I think I will downgrade Paul Brown in my coach rankings. That's a truly damning incident. Plum balled out for that man, he earned the right to have his way. He was precisely the opposite of inadequate, Brown just did not put winning first in that moment. It is unbelievable (and frankly hilarious) that a coach of his stature would act on that much impulse and hurt his team that badly over a personal vendetta. He's lucky he got Frank Ryan a couple years later. Bill Belichick does some petty stuff sometimes, but no matter how bitter things got, I couldn't imagine him trading Brady circa 2010 for Mark Sanchez and a DE.
SixtiesFan

Re: What is your personal "GOAT progression"?

Post by SixtiesFan »

JameisLoseston wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote:Was that the stupidest trade in NFL history? Jim Ninowski had one of the worst starting tenures in history with the Lions. Meanwhile, Milt Plum was pretty fresh off a season with a PR of like 110.
Milt Plum criticized Paul Brown for not letting him call the plays. Brown traded Plum as fast as he could. The Browns also got DE Bill Glass in the multi-player deal.

In his 1979 memoir (which I haven't read in a long time) Paul Brown rapped Milt Plum so harshly you wondered why Brown allowed Plum to be his starting QB for several years. Brown indicated, in so many words, that Plum had proven to be inadequate, so maybe Ninowski would be the answer.
I think I will downgrade Paul Brown in my coach rankings. That's a truly damning incident. Plum balled out for that man, he earned the right to have his way. He was precisely the opposite of inadequate, Brown just did not put winning first in that moment. It is unbelievable (and frankly hilarious) that a coach of his stature would act on that much impulse and hurt his team that badly over a personal vendetta. He's lucky he got Frank Ryan a couple years later. Bill Belichick does some petty stuff sometimes, but no matter how bitter things got, I couldn't imagine him trading Brady circa 2010 for Mark Sanchez and a DE.
Ninowski was injured halfway through the 1962 season and was replaced by Frank Ryan who had come in a trade with the Rams. In his book Paul Brown said he was happy with Frank Ryan. In the book, Brown said he didn't mind if Otto Graham, Tommy O'Connell, Frank Ryan, Greg Cook, or Ken Anderson changed a play. Not with his other QBs. Brown was also scathing in his assessment of Len Dawson.

As we know, Art Modell fired Paul Brown after the 1962 season.