SEA, R.W., and Coach Carroll

racepug

SEA, R.W., and Coach Carroll

Post by racepug »

It seems pretty clear that the Seahawks are not very good right now which leads me to wonder in which direction they're headed. The city of Seattle doesn't have many league championships to boast of but it generally doesn't put up with losers (the Mariners excepted) for very long (case in point - right before Pete Carroll was hired Jim Mora, Jr. lasted one season with the Seahawks before being kicked to the curb), either. It's obvious to all who are willing to view it objectively that the Seahawks aren't very talented right now and I wonder if all the talk about Russell leaving (which was supposedly "put to bed" right before the season) will start up, again. Personally, I find it remarkable any time a team fires a coach who's won a championship with it but not only do I wonder if Russell Wilson will be with the Seahawks next season, I also wonder if it's time for the 'hawks to move on from Pete Carroll, as well. I guess we're gonna find out within a couple of months, maybe.
Reaser

Re: SEA, R.W., and Coach Carroll

Post by Reaser »

racepug wrote:The city of Seattle doesn't have many league championships to boast of
What? Super Bowl champions, NBA Champions, first American city to win the Stanley Cup, 2x MLS Cup champions, even won the first two Major League Rugby championships. And UW has a couple national championships in football, bunch of conference championships, Rose Bowl wins, etc and success in other sports, rowing for example.
but it generally doesn't put up with losers (the Mariners excepted) for very long
What?

You mentioned the M's. Which alone disqualifies the statement of not putting up with losers, but ...

Seahawks went 1976-2012 before winning the SB in 2013/14 and were "put up with", I was in the Kingdome watching games during the disaster '92 season.

Sonics didn't win anything after '79 and weren't anything special (w/some bad years) prior to the Karl years and they were "put up with", and still supported in the dreadful post-Karl years up until it felt like the owner was trying to sabotage the team because he obviously wanted to -and ultimately did- relocate.

Seattle's WHL team has been one of the best supported in the WHL since it arrived in '77, and they did a lot of losing/missing the playoffs or only making the playoffs because so many teams made it and then losing in the early rounds. Didn't win the Cup until 2017.

Even when UW went 0-12 they averaged over 63k, top-30 in attendance in the nation and top-4 in conference. Lot of frustrating seasons and still were top 25-30 in D1 and top 3-4 in conference attendance.

Are you from Western WA?
racepug

Re: SEA, R.W., and Coach Carroll

Post by racepug »

That wasn't my main point, dude. My main point is that the Seahawks might be in for some significant changes this coming off-season if it looks like they're not going to be contending under the current circumstances. I'm not a "hater" (there are PLENTY of teams that I "hate" but the Seahawks are not one of them) but I DO consider myself to be a realist. Seattle won't put up with decades of losing like Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Detroit have. If the Seahawks with their current makeup look like they're going down the tubes then changes will be made, I am sure.