Motion and Determining Starting Positions

Oszuscik

Motion and Determining Starting Positions

Post by Oszuscik »

Here's a conundrum that I haven't run into before: when is an offensive formation and official positions determined, before or after pre-snap motion?

For example, in Week 4 of 2009 Green Bay got the ball first against Minnesota. Green Bay broke the huddle with a RB and FB in the backfield, a TE lined up next to the LT, a WR split wide from the RT, and a slot receiver (Donald Driver) between that WR and the RT. No receivers were on the left side of the formation past the TE. Then, from his slot position next to the RT, Driver goes in motion to the left side and lines up as a flanker past the TE. The ball is then snapped.

So here's my question: when designating official positions in the starting lineup, would you list Driver as a slot receiver or a flanker? Do you determine the starting lineups before any motion takes place, or by where everyone is lined up when the ball is snapped?

Thanks!
RyanChristiansen

Re: Motion and Determining Starting Positions

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I don't believe the formation on the field at the start of the game has anything to do with official starting positions. Starting positions are determined pregame. Driver was listed as a "wide receiver" (WR) in the gamebook for the game in questions.

When writing about a particular play, though, you might want to mention whatever position they were in on the snap of the ball. If they are "out of position," in other words not in their starting lineup position, you might say he played "as a" on the play.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium