ChrisBabcock

Re: Best TD Celebration Spikers in NFL History

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Gronk.
Simple, yet powerful.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Dave Hampton, for spiking before getting into the end zone and getting away with it.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Gronk.
Simple, yet powerful.
This list begins and ends with him
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Jay Z wrote:Dave Hampton, for spiking before getting into the end zone and getting away with it.

When did this occur? I don't recall hearing about this before. The only thing I remember about Hampton was gaining 1,000 yards... and then being hit for a loss and finishing with 995.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

conace21 wrote:
Jay Z wrote:Dave Hampton, for spiking before getting into the end zone and getting away with it.

When did this occur? I don't recall hearing about this before. The only thing I remember about Hampton was gaining 1,000 yards... and then being hit for a loss and finishing with 995.
In a 1969 game against the 49ers. It's about 3 1/2 minutes into the Packers highlight film for that year.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

It's not in the highlight film, but Hampton realized his error and recovered the loose ball in the end zone.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Correct me if I´m wrong, but I heard once that former Chiefs WR Elmo Wright was the first player to make a spike after he scored a touchdown. Carmichael´s spikes often appeared in NFL Films Follies, buit I beleive Gronkowski's are the best of them all.

Once I remember a WR (Cris Carter?) that made a spike so hard that hit an official in the face, and was penalized.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Homer Jones I believe, was the first to spike the football. An exciting but disappointing career.

A call out to older Bears fans ...
I have been watching older Bears games to enjoy the greatness of Walter Payton and the Bears had a receiver named Ricky Watts who had size and speed. Why didnt this guy have a better career ?

Yes, his hands werent the best and he was double covered alot with the slower Brian Baschnagel on the other side but he had huge play ability but I guess he just couldnt develop enough for QBs, Phipps and Evans. Evans had talent too but couldnt hit the side of a barn.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Hewritt Dixon may have preceded Jones? I'd have to go back & check but I think film of the Broncos in '64 shows Dixon spiking the ball. Jones didn't have any TD receptions in '64.