Damon Allen vs. Marcus Allen

Brian wolf

Re: Damon Allen vs. Marcus Allen

Post by Brian wolf »

Rob Johnson could throw pretty passes but was a magnet for pass rushers ... Flutie I feel, would have beaten the Titans, who were obviously nervous for their first playoff game since 1994 in Houston ...
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Retro Rider wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Thanks Retro Rider ...

I still wonder, especially with four Grey Cup championships, why Damon Allen didnt sign with the NFL ? Was there no interest, or did he prefer the CFL ?
I don't know the answer to that Bryan. Maybe someone on the forum can provide insight. You would think there would have been an NFL team willing to give him a look. I totally agree about Flutie getting the start over Rob Johnson in the Music City Miracle game. Flutie was a winner.
See my quotes above. Damon's coach, Gene Murphy, at Cal State Fullerton is quoted in the same article saying he thinks Damon would make a great CFL quarterback. He didn't give reasons why. That same year (1984), Damon's senior season, Warren Moon first played for the Houston Oilers. Perhaps Murphy (and others?) at the time saw the CFL as the path to the NFL for black quarterbacks. Before 1984, in the Super Bowl Era, Vince Evans (32 starts, 1977-1983) and James Harris (41 starts, 1969-1979) were the only black NFL quarterbacks who had spent much time under center, but in 1984 Moon was a solid, proven quantity, and he came up through the CFL. (Even so, Moon didn't become a fulltime starter in the CFL until 1982. He had two years as a starter in the CFL before he came to the NFL.)
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Before 1984, in the Super Bowl Era, Vince Evans (32 starts, 1977-1983) and James Harris (41 starts, 1969-1979) were the only black NFL quarterbacks who had spent much time under center
How could you forget Doug Williams?
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

JameisLoseston wrote:
Before 1984, in the Super Bowl Era, Vince Evans (32 starts, 1977-1983) and James Harris (41 starts, 1969-1979) were the only black NFL quarterbacks who had spent much time under center
How could you forget Doug Williams?
Damn, yes. Doug Williams had 58 starts (1978-1982) with the dreamsicle-clad Bucs. I was looking at a list of "first black starting quarterbacks by team" and didn't see Williams until 1987 with the Redskins because Parnell Dickinson (who?) was the first-ever starting quarterback for Tampa Bay. An egregious error, but yeah, pretty much three black QBs before Moon.

I see Dickinson, of Mississippi Valley State University, is in the Black College Football Hall of Fame. MVSU is Jerry Rice's alma mater, as well.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I felt Joe Gilliam for the Steelers, had as much talent as Williams or Harris but couldnt get his career going. Evans wasnt an NFL QB but how well did he play in the CFL ?
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

RyanChristiansen wrote: (Even so, Moon didn't become a fulltime starter in the CFL until 1982. He had two years as a starter in the CFL before he came to the NFL.)
I believe Moon had taken over the reigns as Edmonton's starting QB by 1980. He started in the 1980 and 1981 Grey Cup Games. I can't find a list of Moon's games started prior to 1982, but he led the Eskimos in passing in 1979, 1980 and 1981. Moon basically split time with Tom Wilkinson in 1979.

https://www.statscrew.com/football/stats/p-moonwar001
Last edited by Retro Rider on Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Brian wolf wrote:I felt Joe Gilliam for the Steelers, had as much talent as Williams or Harris but couldnt get his career going. Evans wasnt an NFL QB but how well did he play in the CFL ?
I don't recall Vince Evans ever playing in the CFL. I remember him playing in the USFL.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right Retro Rider ... thought he had played in Canada after the USFL but he must have impressed Al Davis during the 1987 players strike ...
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Brian wolf wrote:Thanks guys ... great stats and information. I still remember the wild card game where Flutie and the Bills took on Marino and the Dolphins in 98/99. Might have been a different outcome if Bills receiver Andre Reed doesnt act crazy on the field and draw a costly penalty during a critical drive ...

What HC Phillips did to Flutie, starting Rob Johnson over him in the Music City Miracle wild card game in 99/00 for Buffalo was ridiculous.

I despised Wade Phillips for years for screwing Flutie out of that start but in Doug’s episode of “A Football Life” it is revealed that the decision came from upstairs. Rob Johnson made a lot more money so Bud Adams wanted him to play, especially after his fine performance in the season’s final game against the Colts. I’m still pissed about it.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I am still upset about it as well JohnH. Flutie never got a fair shake in the NFL by three teams, despite a winning overall record. He was jerked around by the 2000 Bills as well. His first season with the Chargers was also a disaster, though no fault of his own. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I believe Flutie could have been big in Chicago if the Bears had just kept him ...