Charley Trippi Turns 100

RRMarshall

Charley Trippi Turns 100

Post by RRMarshall »

Usually old NFL players are only remembered when their names turn up in the obits. It's nice to see some happier news for a change.
Happy Birthday Charley, hero of the 1947 NFL Champions Cardinals!

https://www.onlineathens.com/story/spor ... 493895001/
JuggernautJ

Re: Charley Trippi Turns 100

Post by JuggernautJ »

It is nice to see some good news in this usually crazy world.
Happy Birthday Mr. Trippi!
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

In Oneonta there is a Charlie Tripp Automotive Sales business.
Every time I pass by I think of the former NFL player - I didn't realize he was still alive.
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

As no one has ever returned a punt for a touchdown in a Super Bowl game, Charley Trippi is still the last player to have a punt return for a TD in the NFL's Championship game, in 1947.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Charley Trippi was not only a great player -- he is a gem of a man.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Put together an ‘All-Time’ 53-man roster Cardinals team, Trippi is the ONLY Captain! Just HE at the 50 for the coin-toss!
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Even though I'm a lifelong Packer fan, Trippi was a favorite of mine when I was a kid because our running styles were similar, especially on punt returns. Trippi was one of those guys who will run back 15 yards and go all the way across the field to gain an extra yard.

There's a story, possibly apocryphal but still illustrative, about Trippi returning a punt against the Lions. He ran across the field from the Cardinals' sideline to Detroit's sideline and headed upfield right in front of the Lions' bench. A defender got a bead on him but Trippi stopped on a dime and the would-be tackler landed on his face right at the feet of Detroit Coach Buddy Parker.

Trippi headed across the field again while the defender pounded his fists on the ground in frustration.

Parker yelled down at him, "For Christ's sake, get up! He'll be back in a minute!"
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

rhickok1109 wrote:There's a story, possibly apocryphal but still illustrative, about Trippi returning a punt against the Lions. He ran across the field from the Cardinals' sideline to Detroit's sideline and headed upfield right in front of the Lions' bench. A defender got a bead on him but Trippi stopped on a dime and the would-be tackler landed on his face right at the feet of Detroit Coach Buddy Parker.

Trippi headed across the field again while the defender pounded his fists on the ground in frustration.

Parker yelled down at him, "For Christ's sake, get up! He'll be back in a minute!"
I've seen the same story, with the same punch line, applied to a defensive lineman who was chasing Frank Tarkenton on one of his sideline-to-sideline scrambles in the 1960s.