Bruce Anderson

Saban1

Bruce Anderson

Post by Saban1 »

Bruce Anderson was a rookie DE for the Los Angeles Rams in 1966. In 1967, Bruce played for the New York Giants. I was wondering how he ended up with the New York Giants in 1967. Was he waived by the Rams, or was he traded. I suspect that he was traded with George Allen as the Rams coach at the time. So, when was the trade and what did the Rams get for him, if there was a trade?

Jack Patera was an assistant coach for the Rams in 1966 and for the Giants in 1967 (defensive line), so I think that Patera had something to do with Anderson going to the Giants in 1967.

Anyone here know anything about this?
RyanChristiansen

Re: Bruce Anderson

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Saban wrote:Bruce Anderson was a rookie DE for the Los Angeles Rams in 1966. In 1967, Bruce played for the New York Giants. I was wondering how he ended up with the New York Giants in 1967. Was he waived by the Rams, or was he traded.
Los Angeles received an "undisclosed" draft pick (Great Bend Tribune, September 12, 1967, page 6)
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

RyanChristiansen wrote:
Saban wrote:Bruce Anderson was a rookie DE for the Los Angeles Rams in 1966. In 1967, Bruce played for the New York Giants. I was wondering how he ended up with the New York Giants in 1967. Was he waived by the Rams, or was he traded.
Los Angeles received an "undisclosed" draft pick (Great Bend Tribune, September 12, 1967, page 6)
Thanks. I could not find anything about it. I wonder how long it was before Allen traded away that undisclosed draft pick?
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Saban wrote:Thanks. I could not find anything about it. I wonder how long it was before Allen traded away that undisclosed draft pick?
Allen did indeed trade the draft choice, a #3 pick in the 1969 draft, away to Atlanta for Frank Marchlewski. Atlanta used that pick for guard Jon Sandstrom, who never played in the NFL.

Sandstrom couldn't make the Falcons despite the Falcons only returning one offensive lineman, Bill Sandeman, and he only played four games for the 2-12 1968 Falcons. The Falcons also drafted George Kunz, Dick Enderle, Malcolm Snider, and Jeff Van Note in that same draft. Kunz, Enderle, and Snider all started along with Sandeman. Van Note only played in one game as coach Van Brocklin opted for ancient Bruce Bosley there. Kunz and Snider were both drafted in front of Sandstrom, so I suppose Enderle beat him out. Sandstrom was traded to the Vikings for receiver Tom McCauley. McCauley made the Falcons, but Sandstrom was cut by the Vikings.

Three other players were picked before Sandstrom in that draft. Volly Murphy (Vikings) and Fred Cross (Redskins) both spent a couple of years in the Army, came back, and were cut. Eugene Epps (also Redskins) spent a year on the taxi squad, then retired for the ministry. So Sandstrom was the first outright cut in the draft. The Redskins did draft Harold McClinton and Larry Brown later on to make up for their luckless first two picks.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Jay Z wrote:
Saban wrote:Thanks. I could not find anything about it. I wonder how long it was before Allen traded away that undisclosed draft pick?
Allen did indeed trade the draft choice, a #3 pick in the 1969 draft, away to Atlanta for Frank Marchlewski. Atlanta used that pick for guard Jon Sandstrom, who never played in the NFL.

Sandstrom couldn't make the Falcons despite the Falcons only returning one offensive lineman, Bill Sandeman, and he only played four games for the 2-12 1968 Falcons. The Falcons also drafted George Kunz, Dick Enderle, Malcolm Snider, and Jeff Van Note in that same draft. Kunz, Enderle, and Snider all started along with Sandeman. Van Note only played in one game as coach Van Brocklin opted for ancient Bruce Bosley there. Kunz and Snider were both drafted in front of Sandstrom, so I suppose Enderle beat him out. Sandstrom was traded to the Vikings for receiver Tom McCauley. McCauley made the Falcons, but Sandstrom was cut by the Vikings.

Three other players were picked before Sandstrom in that draft. Volly Murphy (Vikings) and Fred Cross (Redskins) both spent a couple of years in the Army, came back, and were cut. Eugene Epps (also Redskins) spent a year on the taxi squad, then retired for the ministry. So Sandstrom was the first outright cut in the draft. The Redskins did draft Harold McClinton and Larry Brown later on to make up for their luckless first two picks.[/quote

Thanks for the info,