Stafford most underhonored player in NFL history?

George Bozeka

Re: Stafford most underhonored player in NFL history?

Post by George Bozeka »

Bryan wrote:
Zero26 wrote:Staffords the fastest QB in NFL history to reach 50k yards. He was 1 nice pass away from throwing for 5k yards twice. He averages 275 yards a game over his career(4th in NFL history) 10 more than Tom Brady,5 more than Peyton, 15 more than Rodgers. Now calling him better than those guys based on just that is very misleading
Yes, very misleading. Peyton's career began when Stafford was in grade school. Passing numbers have gotten inflated in the last decade which "coincides" with Matt Stafford's career. Do we give credit to Stafford's impeccable sense of timing? Or do you really believe that Stafford achieved something meaningful by becoming the 'fastest' QB in NFL history to reach 50K yards? The yards per game is the same thing. Andrew Luck is higher than Manning, Deshaun Watson is higher than Brady, Kirk Cousins is higher than Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff is higher than Dan Marino. The analysis is all the QB's whose careers started before 2005 are worse than all the QBs whose careers started more recently. Do you really think that is true?
Zero26 wrote:Stafford is a slightly lesser version of Aaron Rodgers IMO.
Can you start a new thread titled "Stafford the most slightly lesser version of Aaron Rodgers in NFL history"? This has gone from 'discussion' to 'troll job' rather quickly, IMO.
Let's keep the forum civil and respectful. Just because you disagree with someone's opinion doesn't make them a troll.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Please stop comparing QBs playing right now to QBs who played literally any other time besides right now. If you do, use proper era-adjusted metrics, not raw ratios.

Stafford's career thus far is no better or worse than Matt Ryan. Both HOVG/borderline HOF guys, one great season each and a lot of average to above average ones, if we're talking prior eras I'd compare Stafford to a Roman Gabriel. Now that he's on a well-run team, though, he's probably going to push higher into HOF territory.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bad game for Stafford but he pulled it out today. Rams are close to clinching the division.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Isn’t it obvious that Stafford has thrown for a ton of yards because he was usually coming from behind with Detroit?
Neither Stafford or Matt Ryan deserve a sniff of Canton at this point. Stafford has a chance to change things with a very good Rams team but he still throws too many panicky bonehead interceptions. He has to do some big time winning to change my mind about him.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Another Jekyll & Hyde performance by Matt. Throws a pick-six for what seems like the umpteenth time, looks like crap, then with his team down 9 points in the final quarter he throws the winning TD pass with a minute left.

Yes, another 4Q comeback. He's got quite a few of those.

As far as padding stats, every QB in the entire freakin' league has been padding stats for the last 15-20 years with all the rules favoring the offense. Receivers, too. Throughout his time in Detroit Stafford, like all QBs, was throwing the ball whether he was up 17 points or down 20. Let's face it---the game's just basketball on plastic grass.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Bad game for Stafford but he pulled it out today. Rams are close to clinching the division.
I wouldn't say the he pulled it out. More like Cooper Kupp and his team's "D" did. And in case you hadn't noticed, BAL isn't really very good.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

JohnH19 wrote:Isn’t it obvious that Stafford has thrown for a ton of yards because he was usually coming from behind with Detroit?
Neither Stafford or Matt Ryan deserve a sniff of Canton at this point. Stafford has a chance to change things with a very good Rams team but he still throws too many panicky bonehead interceptions. He has to do some big time winning to change my mind about him.
People didn't hold this against Brett Favre. On the NFL 100 show he was even complimented for throwing 6 interceptions cause it implied he couldn't be deterred into not throwing the ball. While the very best ever can make magic without putting the ball in harms way a lot of interceptions are the product of being able to make incredible throws and taking risks other players wouldn't. Stafford has been a little interception prone these last few weeks in particular but

And while your initial premise of him often coming behind is true a)that's not his fault and b)that has produced a bunch of comebacks and game winning drives(over 2 seasons worth). Calling stats in that situation meaningless implies those comebacks are futile when quite often those comebacks succeed.

I do have Stafford well ahead of Ryan but think they are both hall of famers though Ryan is borderline. People confuse inflated stats with irelevant stats. One thing does not equal the other and inflated or not Stafford compares well his inflated peers in the same era.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

racepug wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Bad game for Stafford but he pulled it out today. Rams are close to clinching the division.
I wouldn't say the he pulled it out. More like Cooper Kupp and his team's "D" did. And in case you hadn't noticed, BAL isn't really very good.

These last few weeks were bad for Stafford. However his pro bowl snub predates this and he was playing much better most of the season. He's still producing a lot just throwing a lot of picks. This is not really the norm for him though.

In terms of giving Kupp credit for Staffords success this is Kupps first year in the pro bowl and regardless(he didn't just make the pro bowl he had one of the best seasons ever) he is just a dramatically more productive receiver with Stafford than Goff. It makes sense to give Calvin Johnson the lionshare of the credit for their shared statistical success but here the opposite is true.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Zero26 wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:Isn’t it obvious that Stafford has thrown for a ton of yards because he was usually coming from behind with Detroit?
People didn't hold this against Brett Favre. On the NFL 100 show he was even complimented for throwing 6 interceptions cause it implied he couldn't be deterred into not throwing the ball. While the very best ever can make magic without putting the ball in harms way a lot of interceptions are the product of being able to make incredible throws and taking risks other players wouldn't. Stafford has been a little interception prone these last few weeks in particular but

And while your initial premise of him often coming behind is true a)that's not his fault and b)that has produced a bunch of comebacks and game winning drives(over 2 seasons worth). Calling stats in that situation meaningless implies those comebacks are futile when quite often those comebacks succeed.

I do have Stafford well ahead of Ryan but think they are both hall of famers though Ryan is borderline. People confuse inflated stats with irelevant stats. One thing does not equal the other and inflated or not Stafford compares well his inflated peers in the same era.
The only number that counts for a QB is points. It’s a team game and Stafford’s offences didn’t score enough points to elevate his teams in Detroit. Comparing Stafford to Brett Favre in any sense is a huge stretch, to say the least.

Finally, your Hall of Fame is much larger than mine if you already have Stafford in it. I cringe every time I hear Matty Ice (UGH!) mentioned as a possible future HOFer but I see him as having a better shot than Stafford at this point. At least Ryan did some winning earlier in his career.

I have nothing against Stafford. I just find it surprising that anyone sees him as a future hall of famer right now.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnH19 wrote:The only number that counts for a QB is points. It’s a team game and Stafford’s offences didn’t score enough points to elevate his teams in Detroit. Comparing Stafford to Brett Favre in any sense is a huge stretch, to say the least.
Yes, Favre's INTs were usually borne from his aggressiveness...trying to get the ball downfield to score points and win games. Stafford's INTs usually are panicked heaves forced by real or imagined pressure. Maybe that is an unfair characterization, but that's just what it seems to be.

Stafford has none of Favre's playmaking ability. It is a baseless comparison (as are most of the comparisons in this thread). The Ravens had given up 525 yards passing the week prior, and Stafford has 3 TOs and needs to pull one out of the fire in order to beat them. I'm guessing Stafford will still make the pro bowl this year, but he is going to have to continue to perform at this level for several more seasons and also make some noise in the postseason before he can even be considered a HOF QB, IMO. His resume at the moment is paper thin.