Stafford most underhonored player in NFL history?

SixtiesFan

Re: Stafford most underhonored player in NFL history?

Post by SixtiesFan »

The Rams traded for Stafford to get them in the Super Bowl. He did exactly that. How many times has a QB come by trade and made the Super Bowl the first year with his new team?

BTW Stafford's leading receiver, Cooper Kupp, had one of the best seasons an NFL WR has ever had. Kupp came up big in the playoffs also.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:Though I believe Kroenke and the Lombardi Trophy is a foregone conclusion(Prove me wrong Cincinnati) The Rams still have to get it done on the field. I will admit, I am pulling for Stafford and Donald but would be very happy for the Bengals fanbase as well.

I was impressed that the Rams were able to commit to their running game, even though the yardage wasnt there and they did a great job stopping the Niner running game, though Mitchell didnt run the ball enough. With two weeks to get ready, Akers, Michel and perhaps Henderson, should have ample attempts in the SB, but will HC McVay let Stafford cut it loose ?
If the Rams have at least 35 rushing attempts, they should win the game because Stafford is better when everyone gets involved.

The matchup of Ramsey on Chase will be fun to watch, so Higgins and Boyd will have to step up.
If Mixon can get at least 30 touches in this game, the Bengals have a good chance but he will have to block as well because the Rams will be coming. Burrow has to continue to show the poise that got the team here. A win by Burrow will justify some of the comparisons to Montana and Brady, as a young winner but the expectations will increase as well.
Why? Burrow is in his first full season as a starter - he missed a chunk of 2020 due to injury. There is not even close to any sort of sample size to use his name in the same sentence as Brady and Montana. No way, dude.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

SixtiesFan wrote:The Rams traded for Stafford to get them in the Super Bowl. He did exactly that. How many times has a QB come by trade and made the Super Bowl the first year with his new team?

BTW Stafford's leading receiver, Cooper Kupp, had one of the best seasons an NFL WR has ever had. Kupp came up big in the playoffs also.
I agree about Stafford. It is a WIN the fact he took the Rams to the SB and that he personally is playing for a championship. IMO the outcome of the game does not decide whether he is a bust or not.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not comparing Burrow to Montana or Brady, just stating about winning a SB quickly. Burrow could win in his second year like Wilson, Big Ben and Brady, though Wilson, Montana and Brady werent #1 picks. Mahomes won in his third season, so Burrow he could join some good company.
JWL

Post by JWL »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Though I believe Kroenke and the Lombardi Trophy is a foregone conclusion(Prove me wrong Cincinnati) The Rams still have to get it done on the field. I will admit, I am pulling for Stafford and Donald but would be very happy for the Bengals fanbase as well.

I was impressed that the Rams were able to commit to their running game, even though the yardage wasnt there and they did a great job stopping the Niner running game, though Mitchell didnt run the ball enough. With two weeks to get ready, Akers, Michel and perhaps Henderson, should have ample attempts in the SB, but will HC McVay let Stafford cut it loose ?
If the Rams have at least 35 rushing attempts, they should win the game because Stafford is better when everyone gets involved.

The matchup of Ramsey on Chase will be fun to watch, so Higgins and Boyd will have to step up.
If Mixon can get at least 30 touches in this game, the Bengals have a good chance but he will have to block as well because the Rams will be coming. Burrow has to continue to show the poise that got the team here. A win by Burrow will justify some of the comparisons to Montana and Brady, as a young winner but the expectations will increase as well.
Why? Burrow is in his first full season as a starter - he missed a chunk of 2020 due to injury. There is not even close to any sort of sample size to use his name in the same sentence as Brady and Montana. No way, dude.
He was comparing Burrow to the 2001 version of Brady and the 1981 version of Montana.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Stafford gets his ring ... Donald was MVP
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bengals were game but after literally a penalty free game, the Zebras stepped in, though the team had their chance.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Brian wolf wrote:Stafford gets his ring ... Donald was MVP
Well, Cooper Kupp is the actual MVP.

If you personally think Donald should have gotten it, then that's fine. The key drive of the game was by the Rams offense and it featured Matthew Stafford and Kupp making big plays.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

SixtiesFan wrote:The Rams traded for Stafford to get them in the Super Bowl. He did exactly that. How many times has a QB come by trade and made the Super Bowl the first year with his new team?

Continuing with the above post: The Rams traded for Stafford to get them in the Super Bowl. He did exactly that. The Rams won the Super Bowl. How many times has a QB come by trade and his team wins the Super Bowl his first year with his new team?

And the Super Bowl game-winning TD was a pass from Stafford to Cooper Kupp, who in addition to what could be argued was the best season ever for a WR, came up big in the playoffs and caught the Super Bowl winning TD pass.