Minnesota Vikings Who Started the Most Games By Position

RyanChristiansen

Minnesota Vikings Who Started the Most Games By Position

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Minnesota Viking players come and go, but some play for the team for a long, long time. The Most 'Viking' Minnesota Vikings player of them all is Jim Marshall who played defensive end for the Minnesota Vikings from 1961 through 1979. He played in 270 games for the Vikings and started every one of those games.

Here are the 22 Vikings players and the Vikings head coach who stuck with the team the longest and who started the most games for the Vikings at each position. The players fill out a Pro Set offensive formation and a 4-3 defensive formation.

HC - Bud Grant

QB - Fran Tarkenton
HB - Adrian Peterson
FB - Bill Brown
LT - Grady Alderman
LG - Randall McDaniel
C - Mick Tingelhoff
RG - David Dixon
RT - Ron Yary
TE - Steve Jordan
WR - Cris Carter
WR - Anthony Carter

DE - Jim Marshall
DT - Kevin Williams
DT - Alan Page
DE - Carl Eller
LB - Scott Studwell
LB - Roy Winston
LB - Chad Greenway
CB - Carl Lee
CB - Bobby Bryant
S - Paul Krause
S - Harrison Smith

PK - Fred Cox
P - Greg Coleman
Last edited by RyanChristiansen on Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Re: The Most 'Viking' of the Minnesota Vikings

Post by Brian wolf »

Harrison Smith has more starts than Joey Browner ?
I assumed Bobby Moore/Ahmad Rashad had more games than Anthony Carter ... Dixon over Sunde ?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Seemed like Hilgenberg was there forever as well. An underrated player ...
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Kassulke over H Smith?
I am also a Hilgenberg fan... not to mention Lonnie Warwick and Ed Sharockman... Gene Washington (though it'd be hard to sit AC or Cris Carter...

When I first saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a list of white guys with long blond hair and braided mustaches...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JuggernautJ wrote:When I first saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a list of white guys with long blond hair and braided mustaches...
I thought that as well. One of the nicknames of the Vikings D line was "The Four Norsemen", to which Tex Maule wrote "I don't know why they are called the Four Norsemen...only Gary Larsen is of Scandanavian descent." Hopefully Tex was making a joke, but it's hard to tell.
RyanChristiansen

Re: Minnesota Vikings Who Started the Most Games By Position

I changed the title of the thread to thwart any future misunderstanding. Sorry about that. I guess I was trying to be cute or something.

Anyway, I wonder if many of these positions will ever be supplanted. Guys don't stick with teams long enough nowadays.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I still believe Tommy Mason would have been HOVG had he not gotten injured in 1966. Bill Brown should already be in. Flatley, Hawkins and Hackbart were playmakers for the early teams as well ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Without looking, I thought Sammy White started more games than Anthony Carter, but Carter had 7 more.

Nice list!
RyanChristiansen

Teo wrote:Without looking, I thought Sammy White started more games than Anthony Carter, but Carter had 7 more.

Nice list!
Thanks. The trio of Jordan, Carter, and Carter played together for four seasons 1990-1993, plus Jordan came back for four games in 1994. Lots of people remember Carter/Moss, but Jordan/Carter/Carter were solid.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Brian wolf wrote:I still believe Tommy Mason would have been HOVG had he not gotten injured in 1966. Bill Brown should already be in. Flatley, Hawkins and Hackbart were playmakers for the early teams as well ...
I suggested Bill Brown for the HOVG in a post several years ago but I don’t remember getting much, if any, support. Is there a Hall of Darn Good somewhere?