Madden Passes

BD Sullivan

Re: Madden Passes

Post by BD Sullivan »

Madden and Bill Cowher have similar careers: one Super Bowl title and multiple times coming up short in the conference title game. Madden was 1-5 in those games (1-1 at home) in those games and Cowher 2-4 (1-4 at home). Both left coaching and then entered broadcasting. While Madden had an impressive winning percentage, without his broadcasting foray, he wasn't getting in the HOF. His numbers didn't change for the decades he was eligible, yet he was never elected.
racepug

Post by racepug »

BD Sullivan wrote:Madden and Bill Cowher have similar careers: one Super Bowl title and multiple times coming up short in the conference title game. Madden was 1-5 in those games (1-1 at home) in those games and Cowher 2-4 (1-4 at home). Both left coaching and then entered broadcasting. While Madden had an impressive winning percentage, without his broadcasting foray, he wasn't getting in the HOF. His numbers didn't change for the decades he was eligible, yet he was never elected.
Yeah, but Cowher didn't have to deal with a couple of pretty good dynasties (Dolphins', Steelers') the way Coach Madden did. Even so, Coach Madden's Raiders did fairly well against those two teams in that decade in the playoffs. Just not quite well enough.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

racepug wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:Madden and Bill Cowher have similar careers: one Super Bowl title and multiple times coming up short in the conference title game. Madden was 1-5 in those games (1-1 at home) in those games and Cowher 2-4 (1-4 at home). Both left coaching and then entered broadcasting. While Madden had an impressive winning percentage, without his broadcasting foray, he wasn't getting in the HOF. His numbers didn't change for the decades he was eligible, yet he was never elected.
Yeah, but Cowher didn't have to deal with a couple of pretty good dynasties (Dolphins', Steelers') the way Coach Madden did. Even so, Coach Madden's Raiders did fairly well against those two teams in that decade in the playoffs. Just not quite well enough.
I think Madden was a better coach. The winning percentage was mentioned, and he also never had a losing season. Madden's teams were roughly .500 against the Dolphins and Steelers during his coaching career (winning record in regular season). So, he held his own, even though MIA and PIT won more championships during that time.

Among all football fans, I feel Madden is more remembered for the video game than his work on the sidelines or in the broadcast booth. His legacy will live on forever.
argofan87

Post by argofan87 »

sheajets wrote:
RichardBak wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:
Imagine how much money he made off his world-wide popular video games ?
Madden signed a $150-million agreement with EA Sports several years ago that allows the company to use his name and likeness in perpetuity. In addition to that huge haul, he drew an estimated $2 million a year in royalties. But he could've been even richer. When the game was launched back in the early 1980s he was offered the chance to buy stock in it for just $7.50 a share. He said no---and later called it the biggest mistake of his life. Don't know what EA stock goes for today, but a couple of years ago it was around $150 a share.

Interestingly, the guy who created Madden NFL originally approached Joe Montana and Joe Kapp about lending their name and expertise to it, but they turned him down.

Hard to imagine the game today being called Joe Kapp NFL.

Madden was making an estimated $8-9 million a year during his last few seasons on the air. That translates to about $14 million a year in today's dollars. Between his broadcasting salary, video game, various endorsements, and best-selling books, he kind of did all right for himself, his wife, and two sons.
Montana eventually would though to a different game

The Kapp one is kind of perplexing. I wonder if they were considering a CFL version of the game?
The Montana game is the first one I had for Sega Genesis. I didn't get Madden until the N64. There have been a few attempts at a CFL game over the years. There is a rumor that the developers at EA did make a CFL game that is sitting in storage somewhere. Often times, the excuse I've heard presented is that the rules differences make it tougher to develop it as an add-on to Madden.

As for John himself, I was not around for his coaching days, but I fondly remember him and Summerall as an announce team. It always felt like they were doing a Cowboys game in the 90s, which is understandable. His contributions to football will be missed!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

RichardBak wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:
Madden signed a $150-million agreement with EA Sports several years ago that allows the company to use his name and likeness in perpetuity. In addition to that huge haul, he drew an estimated $2 million a year in royalties. But he could've been even richer. When the game was launched back in the early 1980s he was offered the chance to buy stock in it for just $7.50 a share. He said no---and later called it the biggest mistake of his life. Don't know what EA stock goes for today, but a couple of years ago it was around $150 a share.
It's presently at $132, with the stock having split four times since debuting around 1990. Some easy math to determine how much he missed out on: Just multiply whatever fictional amount you want by 36.63. Even without that windfall, Madden wasn't hurting for $$$.