college playoffs--predictions

RichardBak

college playoffs--predictions

Post by RichardBak »

Today: Alabama steamrollers Cincy, Michigan squeaks by Georgia.

Title game: Alabama pulls away from Michigan in second half to win by 10 points.

It all came to me in a vision last night (albeit after eating a tuna fish sandwich at 11 p.m. and downing a shot of NyQuil before hitting the sack).

What sayeth thou?

Oh---and a Happy New Year to all!
racepug

Re: college playoffs--predictions

Post by racepug »

I was torn about the first one. I really wanted to see 'bama lose but on the other hand I know somebody who insists that teams like Utah, Boise State, and UCF (Central Florida) can (and should) be considered worthy of national championship consideration (based on bowl wins over "name" programs) and my contention is that "we'll see how one of those teams does when playing against a 'traditional power' in a game that means something to both teams." In other words: I was torn between what I was hoping for and what I believed the final outcome would be. "Final outcome" won out. In the 2nd one I expected a close one - much like what happened between UGa and OU in Baker Mayfield's last game in college. Instead we saw an absolute beat down of the best Michigan team in years (which I loved to see).

'bama vs. UGa II coming in 9 days - hopefully the Bulldogs will put up a better fight (and hopefully win it) than they did in the last meeting between those two teams.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Yeah, at no point this season did I believe Michigan was an elite team, certainly not No. 2 in the country, behind either Alabama or Georgia. I'm not even sure they could beat Ohio State in a rematch. But I thought/hoped they'd be competitive against Ga., maybe squeak out a 21-20 win. Even then that would mean going against 'Bama, and I think the Tide would've washed the Wolverines away. Saban's gonna have a much tougher time against Ga.

I'm pulling for Georgia in the championship game---but damn, Ala. is gunning for its 7th national title in 15 years. Pretty remarkable.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Terrible season of college football this year. Just about nothing interesting has happened. It's to the point where if WKU went 13-0, Bailey Zappe would have easily won the Heisman with the exact same stats, because there wasn't much else worth watching. This sure hasn't been my favorite NFL season, either, but the inertia has been even more magnified in CFB.

Yep, this is exactly how a season like this deserves to end. With a conference game we just saw three weeks ago. Oh, joy.
racepug

Post by racepug »

RichardBak wrote:Yeah, at no point this season did I believe Michigan was an elite team, certainly not No. 2 in the country, behind either Alabama or Georgia. I'm not even sure they could beat Ohio State in a rematch. But I thought/hoped they'd be competitive against Ga., maybe squeak out a 21-20 win. Even then that would mean going against 'Bama, and I think the Tide would've washed the Wolverines away. Saban's gonna have a much tougher time against Ga.

I'm pulling for Georgia in the championship game---but damn, Ala. is gunning for its 7th national title in 15 years. Pretty remarkable.
I thought that Michigan was "back" (not that they're ever very far from anybody's consciousness of those who follow college football) but I saw an interesting statistic last night: take all FBS programs in games involving top 4 teams and the Michigan Wolverines have the absolute WORST record of any team in all such contests (of teams that have been involved in at least 10 of such contests). Kinda flies against everything you hear about "Michigan football" especially from those who profess to be fans of that team.
JWL

Post by JWL »

The SEC championship game was pointless from a competition standpoint. From a business standpoint (TV ratings, commercials, etc.) and a scouting standpoint (NFL draft) it worked.

Okay, perception. Yes, we perceive Georgia and Alabama to be the best two teams. I do not compare college football to pro sports or college basketball. With five power conferences and considering teams like Cincinnati this year and Central Florida a few years ago, why do we have to watch a loser on Monday night? Georgia is a conference loser.
racepug

Post by racepug »

JWL wrote:The SEC championship game was pointless from a competition standpoint. From a business standpoint (TV ratings, commercials, etc.) and a scouting standpoint (NFL draft) it worked.

Okay, perception. Yes, we perceive Georgia and Alabama to be the best two teams. I do not compare college football to pro sports or college basketball. With five power conferences and considering teams like Cincinnati this year and Central Florida a few years ago, why do we have to watch a loser on Monday night? Georgia is a conference loser.
I simply do not understand people's beef with at-large teams making it all the way to the championship game. It happens in college basketball all the time and what do you think Wild Card teams are in the N.F.L.? If one conference (college) or one division (pros) happens to have the two best teams, why is having them both in a conference or league/national championship game an issue?
JWL

Post by JWL »

racepug wrote:
JWL wrote:The SEC championship game was pointless from a competition standpoint. From a business standpoint (TV ratings, commercials, etc.) and a scouting standpoint (NFL draft) it worked.

I simply do not understand people's beef with at-large teams making it all the way to the championship game. It happens in college basketball all the time and what do you think Wild Card teams are in the N.F.L.? If one conference (college) or one division (pros) happens to have the two best teams, why is having them both in a conference or league/national championship game an issue?
It is because we do not have an eight-team playoff. If it were eight teams, then I'd expect automatic spots for the five power conference winners and then three at-large spots.
Well, we dont' have that yet! So why not actually put winners in the four little spots we have?
racepug

Post by racepug »

JWL wrote:It is because we do not have an eight-team playoff. If it were eight teams, then I'd expect automatic spots for the five power conference winners and then three at-large spots.
Well, we dont' have that yet! So why not actually put winners in the four little spots we have?
I agree with you that if there is to be a CFP that it should be expanded. Four slots simply aren't enough to accommodate all the teams that have a worthy case for being included in such a tournament. That I will give you.
JWL

Post by JWL »

racepug wrote:
JWL wrote:It is because we do not have an eight-team playoff. If it were eight teams, then I'd expect automatic spots for the five power conference winners and then three at-large spots.
I agree with you that if there is to be a CFP that it should be expanded. Four slots simply aren't enough to accommodate all the teams that have a worthy case for being included in such a tournament. That I will give you.

Okay, cool. Also, I will give you that Georgia is probably the 2nd best team in college football this season.