Hub Arkush loses mind, hopefully voting privileges are next

Bryan

Hub Arkush loses mind, hopefully voting privileges are next

Post by Bryan »

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-qb-aar ... at-he-woul

Arkush spoke Tuesday on Chicago's 670 The Score radio show and tabbed Rodgers, a three-time MVP, as "the biggest jerk in the league."

"I don't think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player," Arkush said, per USA Today. "Has he been the most valuable on the field? Yeah, you could make that argument, but I don't think he is clearly that much more valuable than Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp or maybe even Tom Brady. So from where I sit, the rest of it is why he's not gonna be my choice.

Quite the incendiary little package here. First, you'd have to say that Antonio Brown is probably the current leader in the 'biggest jerk' category. Second, being a jerk obviously doesn't disqualify you from winning the MVP award. Many jerks in the past have won the award. Third, what exactly is the punishment that Aaron Rodgers has doled out to his team this year? Did he punish his team with a 13-3 record? Did he punish his fan base with a #1 seed? Lastly, the final statement of Arkush conceding that Rodgers is the most valuable on the field but isn't Arkush's MVP choice because Rodgers isn't 'clearly that much more valuable' than other NFL players is completely illogical. So is there like a sliding jerk/MVP scale, where you can be a big jerk and still win the MVP as long as you are clearly that much more valuable than everyone else? But if you become too big of a jerk or too little of an MVP, the scale collapses?

This is something I would expect from the BBWAA, not from a longtime NFL writer. For shame.
JuggernautJ

Re: Hub Arkush loses mind, hopefully voting privileges are n

Post by JuggernautJ »

I know it's apples and oranges but I and two friends ran a sandlot league for a few years.
We considered sportsmanship when awarding the MVP trophy and once, arguably, the player who was "best" on the field didn't win the award that year because of the way he treated other players, including teammates.
And I would say the majority of the players agreed with us.

I am not saying Rogers doesn't deserve the MVP award (I would think it is either he or Taylor) only that I have no problem with including things that affect the team and its play when considering your vote and not just play on the field.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Then it can become even more of a popularity contest than it already is.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Then it can become even more of a popularity contest than it already is.
I guess that's a valid concern... but (again, in my opinion) a player can contribute to or hurt his team in ways other than with his play between the lines on the field.
Witness A.B. this week, the careers of many "me first" players and/or college players not playing in bowl games in order to preserve their profitability in the pros (not saying they are wrong or right, just using it as an example).

An egregious example might be Barret Robbins not playing in Super Bowl XXXVII... he was an All Pro that year but certainly his off the field behavior influenced how we perceive his career.

I am not saying these types of actions should be all that are considered, or even the determining factor.
I am of the opinion that it is OK to include them when contemplating the totality of an individual's contribution to the team.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Tom Brady took some shit a few years back when he ran off the field after a loss without shaking hands with the opposing quarterback. This should cost him a potential MVP?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Tom Brady took some shit a few years back when he ran off the field after a loss without shaking hands with the opposing quarterback. This should cost him a potential MVP?
I didn't say anything should cost anyone anything.
I said it should be a part of the over all picture.

And many people here and elsewhere do include such things in their evaluation of Brady, Belichick and others.
In football and in life.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

JuggernautJ wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:Tom Brady took some shit a few years back when he ran off the field after a loss without shaking hands with the opposing quarterback. This should cost him a potential MVP?
I didn't say anything should cost anyone anything.
I said it should be a part of the over all picture.

And many people here and elsewhere do include such things in their evaluation of Brady, Belichick and others.
In football and in life.
Yes, but shunning opponents after a loss a shouldn't cost you an MVP. We praise players for their fiery competitiveness, but some people might wantt o use something like that as an excuse to vote against a guy they simply don't like.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I remember George Allen saying (I think it was when he was a TV analyst) that he usually didn't shake hands with the opposing coach after a game.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Whether you think Rodgers does/doesn't deserve to win the award for reasons stated, I think it's unambiguous that MVP voters shouldn't be talking publicly about their vote before it's presented, for any reason.