NEW USFL

Zero26

Re: NEW USFL

Post by Zero26 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I simply wish that they wouldn't call it the USFL and not have the same team names and logos. Simply make it a "normal"-enough (not XFL-like) NFL-rules spring pro league. Maybe most of the same cities as the USFL (non-NFL cities/markets in-particular), but make it something different. More defense-friendly than the NFL wouldn't hurt either.
I think the interest in the USFL is why many are going to be watching, I know that's the reason I will. I wasn't around for the USFL but found it to be a fascinating topic and the connection to the teams are going to give the USFL a built in advantage another football league simply wouldn't have. This league is probably going to have less talent than even the XFL the USFL name is the main thing the league has going for it at least right away. I think that's the reason the investor class seems really willing to put so much money into the league whereas otherwise it'd be viewed as doomed from the start.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/333 ... -same-name

And the original USFL owners are suing.

On one hand they certainly do deserve financial compensation on the other hand you don't want them killing the revival of a league they shuttered decades ago. Hope a reasonable compromise can be reached. Financial aspect aside you'd think the USFL owners would want this project to succeed.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

It was a smart move, marketing-wise, to piggyback onto the old USFL's name. But "borrowing" the name (and by implication, the league's history) was always gonna result in lawsuits. You would think they must've known that and planned for it. Copyright infringement, especially as it involves pro sports, is expensive litigation. Frankly, they should've just called the new loop something fresh and creative and copyright-free---but then, they would've lost the nostalgia factor. Somebody's gonna get some bucks---and as always most of it will go to the lawyers.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

So how is this league faring up to this point. What are the chances of this actually getting a second season? Honestly I havn't paid much attention to it. Minor league talent playing in front of empty stadiums just isn't very interesting at all.
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

I've enjoyed watching the games and I hope the league is around for more seasons. It will be interesting to see if the teams start playing in their city of listing next season.

Bought tix for the championship game in Canton. Should be a lot of fun.
single wing

Post by single wing »

Lee Elder wrote:I've enjoyed watching the games and I hope the league is around for more seasons. It will be interesting to see if the teams start playing in their city of listing next season.

Bought tix for the championship game in Canton. Should be a lot of fun.

I have taped and watched all the games that were broadcast on TV. (could not for the few Peacock games). When i watched them i would fast forward thru ads, delays in play, & halftime. This allowed me to watch each game in roughly 2 hours. I enjoyed watching all the games. Yes i know its not NFL caliber but still quite interesting to watch especially once your get to know each team. Looking forward to the playoffs ! Also hope the league is around for more seasons.