Favorite obscure NFL-related memorabilia

Bryan

Favorite obscure NFL-related memorabilia

Post by Bryan »

In 1977, McDonalds produced a set of Super Bowl 'magazines' that covered SBs I - XI. There were 3 magazines that covered 4 Super Bowls each. I loved these as a kid. They were colorful, had cool looking helmet art, and had stats and rosters for each Super Bowl. They were surprisingly insightful.

Retro Rider

Re: Favorite obscure NFL-related memorabilia

Post by Retro Rider »

Those are cool. I remember getting a set of booklets back in the early 1980's. I've had them boxed away for years. I also collected a 4 card McDonald's quarterback set (1975) and some of their oversized football cards with multi-colored tabs in 1986.

https://youtu.be/HrO57d_Puvk
Last edited by Retro Rider on Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

McDonald's did put out several neat items. I think they had football glasses as well -- then they had the USA basketball Dream Team cups.

The RC Cola cans with football players were cool.

My uncle worked for a local bakery and they had cards actually made by Topps of all the Packers and Vikings. They put one in each loaf of bread. I was lucky to have my uncle get me most of them, if not the full set. They had another set of circular cards come out one year as well. Gardner's Bread it was called.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

There was a year during my college days (1993 ish?) that Coca Cola had a series of cans featuring the helmet of a different NFL team on the side. Every few weeks it would be a new team. I'd hit up the vending machine by the computer lab every now and then to see if it got stocked with a new team. I collected most of the league. Maybe all. I saved my collected cans for a few years (unopened) until I noticed something sticky in the box I was keeping them in. If you let a can of coke sit long enough, eventually the acid will eat away at the aluminum and it will start to leak. :lol:
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I know I'm dating myself with this little post (as I often do), but the only promotion I ever pursued was the circa-1965 Coke bottle cap thingy. Vague memories of attaching about 35 Lions bottle caps to a giant sheet, then going with my buddy and his dad to a bottling plant (I think) to redeem it. Seems we stood around with a thousand others for hours and we finally went home with a cheap football. Hardly seemed worth it, esp. after months of drinking Coke (I was a Faygo guy) trying to get some elusive players. Of course, pop was 10 or 12 cents a bottle (can't remember if there was a deposit then). Oh well, typing this made me briefly think of Joe Don Looney and Gail Cogdill, so the effort wasn't entirely wasted....
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

Bryan wrote:In 1977, McDonalds produced a set of Super Bowl 'magazines' that covered SBs I - XI. There were 3 magazines that covered 4 Super Bowls each. I loved these as a kid. They were colorful, had cool looking helmet art, and had stats and rosters for each Super Bowl. They were surprisingly insightful.
I still have my set. I loved them and was disappointed when there no more future issues after the set of four.
You are correct, they were very insightful.

I think these started to light my SB fire & historical interest.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

[img]WIN_20220112_19_24_50_Pro.jpg[/img]

NFLPA product depicting the starting 22 of the 1970 Packers. There were a couple of deviations from the final lineup. There was one like this for the Bears, don't know of any other teams.
Attachments
WIN_20220112_19_24_50_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220112_19_24_50_Pro.jpg (229.79 KiB) Viewed 8375 times
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Jay Z wrote:[img]WIN_20220112_19_24_50_Pro.jpg[/img]

NFLPA product depicting the starting 22 of the 1970 Packers. There were a couple of deviations from the final lineup. There was one like this for the Bears, don't know of any other teams.
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... e.html?m=1
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."