Coffin Corner Volume 43 Number 6

Brian wolf

Re: Coffin Corner Volume 43 Number 6

Post by Brian wolf »

What are your thoughts on former Lions owner-GM Edwin Anderson, RichardBak ?

I know he sold his shares to Ford but was becoming GM part of the ownership-transition deal and was he really qualified to be a general manager ? Would he have really stepped down to allow Wilson to take that role in order for the team to keep Don Shula in 1963 ? After an 11-3 season, would Wilson had given up his HC spot ?

In my opinion though its close, the early 60s Lions might have been better than the Browns or the Giants, though the Giants went to three straight championship games. How good was QB Plum ?
Just a statistics guy without true leadership or snakebit by things in Cleveland and Detroit that were out of his control ?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Has it been mailed yet?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Has it been mailed yet?
I am no longer in the loop, but expect about 2-3 weeks after it is uploaded to the website before it is mailed, and another several weeks for it to arrive.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

I submitted an article and pictures about the Playoff Bowl to Coffin Corner several months ago, but it has yet to see the light of day in the two editions that have come out since I submitted it. Maybe this display of interest in the game will help get it into the next edition.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Shipley wrote:I submitted an article and pictures about the Playoff Bowl to Coffin Corner several months ago, but it has yet to see the light of day in the two editions that have come out since I submitted it. Maybe this display of interest in the game will help get it into the next edition.
Some PFRA members may wonder about the process by which certain articles are chosen for publication, so as a public service I’ll reconstruct the conversation I had with Ken Crippen when my first article was accepted:

KC: Richard? It’s Ken Crippen from the PFRA. I’m happy to inform you that your article will be published in an upcoming issue of Coffin Corner. Well, possibly published....

RB: That’s great! Wait…possibly?

KC: Let me put it this way—do you know anything about wallpapering?

RB: Actually, I do. Why?

KC: Our living room needs some new wallpaper. The old stuff’s faded and peeling off. And the trim needs a fresh coat of paint. When can you start?

RB: Start what?

KC: The wallpapering. It’s a big job. You’ll need about a dozen double-rolls. And a gallon of paint. Semigloss, off-white. And none of that cheap stuff.

RB: Hold on. You want me to drive all the way from Detroit to wallpaper your living room and paint the trim, just so I can have my article published?

KC: And the upstairs hallway, too, since you’re gonna be out here anyway.

RB: OK.

So there you have it. As my Uncle Snuffy liked to say, it’s not who know, but whose lawn you mow. (Uncle Snuffy also had a saying about the divorcee who lived at the end of the block, but I’ll keep that one to myself.)
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

RichardBak wrote:
Shipley wrote:I submitted an article and pictures about the Playoff Bowl to Coffin Corner several months ago, but it has yet to see the light of day in the two editions that have come out since I submitted it. Maybe this display of interest in the game will help get it into the next edition.
Some PFRA members may wonder about the process by which certain articles are chosen for publication, so as a public service I’ll reconstruct the conversation I had with Ken Crippen when my first article was accepted:

KC: Richard? It’s Ken Crippen from the PFRA. I’m happy to inform you that your article will be published in an upcoming issue of Coffin Corner. Well, possibly published....

RB: That’s great! Wait…possibly?

KC: Let me put it this way—do you know anything about wallpapering?

RB: Actually, I do. Why?

KC: Our living room needs some new wallpaper. The old stuff’s faded and peeling off. And the trim needs a fresh coat of paint. When can you start?

RB: Start what?

KC: The wallpapering. It’s a big job. You’ll need about a dozen double-rolls. And a gallon of paint. Semigloss, off-white. And none of that cheap stuff.

RB: Hold on. You want me to drive all the way from Detroit to wallpaper your living room and paint the trim, just so I can have my article published?

KC: And the upstairs hallway, too, since you’re gonna be out here anyway.

RB: OK.

So there you have it. As my Uncle Snuffy liked to say, it’s not who know, but whose lawn you mow. (Uncle Snuffy also had a saying about the divorcee who lived at the end of the block, but I’ll keep that one to myself.)
Anyone who knows me knows that I do not like wallpaper. ;)
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Still waiting for my Coffin Corner, dagnab it ....
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Mark Durr

Post by Mark Durr »

First of all, I share everyone's frustration with the long delay in receiving the last issue of 2021.

Some of this is explained in the “Team Fumbles” section of Vol. 43, No. 6, but for those who have not downloaded the PDF yet, there were some family matters I was dealing with at the end of last year, along with some additional production problems that caused issue #6 to be delayed in being sent out to our new printer, Laurel Valley Graphics (LVG), who bought out our old printer, Triad Litho.

The files were finally delivered to the new printer at the beginning of this month and, under normal circumstances, most everyone should have received their printed copy by now. I have been exchanging emails with our rep at LVG since early this morning and they said the delay was due to not having received prepayment for the cost of mailing issue #6, which was news to us. After some of us on the PFRA management team started exchanging emails, LVG got back to us late this afternoon and said that our check had come in (surprise!?). They also said that our printed issues will be taken to the post office today for delivery, meaning most members should receive their hard copies in a couple weeks.

We did have some additional questions for them and I will update everyone here on the forum when we get a reply. We will also be releasing a schedule for this year's Coffin Corner in April where we aim to get back on track with getting your issues to you in a timely manner.

Apologies to all our members for these delays and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely yours,

Mark Durr
Editor-in-Chief
Last edited by Mark Durr on Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I submitted an article and two years later, the article made it to editing. It was a long article (Eddie Kotal), and so space was part of the issue, but I'm glad it finally found the light of day.

I submitted another article, and 30 months later, I finally heard back about it. I'm actually no longer interested in publishing it, so I'm letting it die.

Two other articles that I submitted have had an editorial shelf life of about 18 to 24 months but they have been edited and I'm just waiting for them to appear in an issue.

Two other articles that I submitted were picked up fairly quickly and published within six months.

I am and have been a publisher and an editor, so I totally understand the length of time it takes to do things. What I disagree with is the lack of transparency. I feel a writer should be able to check a web page at any time and see what the status is on a particular article. I say this because maybe a writer might be able to find a different home for the same article and it's not fair for the article to sit in Coffin Corner limbo for months or years.

-Ryan
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Received my CC in the mail this weekend.

I guess regarding publishing, all we can do is remain patient. I have been waiting for the Rams book to be released for months now. Hopefully it will be out soon. :)