Steelers 70s Championship Era: Most Underrated

rhickok1109

Re: Steelers 70s Championship Era: Most Underrated

Post by rhickok1109 »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:In terms of unsung hero on the team or NFL history in general? If it's NFL history in general, I'd say Terry Bradshaw.
Here's a stat about Bradshaw that says a lot: In his career, he threw for more than 300 yards in just 7 games, but 3 of those were in the playoffs.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:In terms of unsung hero on the team or NFL history in general? If it's NFL history in general, I'd say Terry Bradshaw.

Unsung hero, I'd say Andy Russell. Not just a solid player, he's the veteran all those great future players like Lambert and Ham looked up to in their early years.
No, not a ‘Rushmore’ QB, but Terry should be more historically regarded amongst the masses! I don’t, really, ever want to hear again how the entire team around him ‘carried’ him! Yes, it begins with Noll and the Steel Curtain, and their running attack, but I seriously don’t think any other QB that era - Staubach included, as much as I respect the heck out of him - wins the ’Burgh four Lombardis in that span. Maybe some win two, maybe some win three (Rog, perhaps, being an example), but only Terry could have won them all four! ’78/’79 was his utter double tour de force! He WAS the MVP, plain and simple! Despite all else still around him at that point, he plays too bad a game…Steelers don’t win!

I agree on Andy Russell. Not being around in ’78 & ’79 quite the reason for no Canton. But I think a simple Steelers three-peating in ’76 (he still being onboard) would have done the job as well!
I totally agree! Bradshaw made two of the biggest throws in SB history -- the one to Swann in 10 and to Stallworth in 14. They may have lost both of those games without those plays. He isn't the guy I would say is the greatest QB of all time, but I don't understand why he isn't better recognized for his arm strength and clutch throws.
I think Bradshaw's arm strength is generally recognized. He may only be a top 15 QB but I think he's a top 5 deep ball thrower with probably Unitas, Marino and a couple others.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I agree about Bradshaw. Wagner and Edwards in the defense, and Sam Davis were greatly underrated.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

rhickok1109 wrote:
Here's a stat about Bradshaw that says a lot: In his career, he threw for more than 300 yards in just 7 games, but 3 of those were in the playoffs.
In Super Bowl XIV with the Rams leading 19-17 and 12:15 left with 3rd and 7 on the Steelers' 27, Terry Bradshaw dropped back and threw a long dead accurate pass to John Stallworth for a 73 yard TD. It was the best long TD pass in a clutch situation (and in the Super Bowl) I can remember.

With 4:16 left and 3rd and 8 on the Steelers' 33, Bradshaw hit Stallworth again for 45 yards, setting up the clinching TD. In both situations, instead of going for a 10-12 yard pass for a first down, Bradshaw dropped back and sent it deep. At his HOF induction speech, Bradshaw shouted out his motto, "Throw it deep! Throw it deep!"

It's what I remember Terry Bradshaw for.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

People forget that center Ray Mansfield, started on the first two Steeler championships and along with Andy Russell and others, survived Chuck Noll's first season in 1969 with a 1-13 record.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

rhickok1109 wrote:
If I remember right, he was the first to throw for 300 yards in a SB. I think that was SB 13.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:
If I remember right, he was the first to throw for 300 yards in a SB. I think that was SB 13.
Per Pro Football Reference, Bradshaw was 17-30, 318 yards and four TDs in Super Bowl XIII.