Rayfield Wright

racepug

Rayfield Wright

Post by racepug »

Has passed away. I have no memory of him but I'm sure somebody on this forum does.
Brian wolf

Re: Rayfield Wright

Post by Brian wolf »

RIP Rayfield Wright

A great tackle, though he had problems with LC Greenwood ...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:RIP Rayfield Wright

A great tackle, though he had problems with LC Greenwood ...
You mean Super Bowl X? Or more than that?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It seemed like every game I saw against Pitts, John ...In the 79 game, Greenwood's hit on Roger caused the concussion that made him retire early ...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote:It seemed like every game I saw against Pitts, John ...In the 79 game, Greenwood's hit on Roger caused the concussion that made him retire early ...
Wright didn't start against the Steelers in 1979, that was Pat Donovan. Also didn't play against the Steelers in 1977, because he was hurt almost the entire year. Wright did play against Greenwood in 1972, but Craig Morton was the QB (no sacks by Greenwood.) So the combo of Wright, Greenwood, and Staubach only occurred in the two SB games. Greenwood got 3 sacks in SB X. In XIII he got a sack late in the game, while the Cowboys were driving for their last TD.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jay Z wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:It seemed like every game I saw against Pitts, John ...In the 79 game, Greenwood's hit on Roger caused the concussion that made him retire early ...
Wright didn't start against the Steelers in 1979, that was Pat Donovan. Also didn't play against the Steelers in 1977, because he was hurt almost the entire year. Wright did play against Greenwood in 1972, but Craig Morton was the QB (no sacks by Greenwood.) So the combo of Wright, Greenwood, and Staubach only occurred in the two SB games. Greenwood got 3 sacks in SB X. In XIII he got a sack late in the game, while the Cowboys were driving for their last TD.

one of the sacks on Staubach was a naked rollout, Greenwood got the sack but he was unblocked by design.
sack #2 (Greenwood was credited with 4) was White's
sack #3 was a twist, Greenwood went inside and scrambled, Greenwood was there and got the first hit on QB for the sacks
Sack #4 White missed and Greenwood did get off Wright's block

We've mentioned it---it's like the gamebook shows one thing, the film another.--it happens

here is an old post and it has the sacks in question in it.
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... -game.html

Greenwood should have been the defensive MVP, gotten the game ball---he was alert and hustled and has three sacks
but my view is he didn't get all of them off of Wright . . .

Same thing here
"In XIII he got a sack late in the game, while the Cowboys were driving for their last TD."---a scoring error, I think---should have been White's sack.

Have been asked if I think sacks should ever be official pre-1982, and always say "no". There are instances like those above that make it wrong enough
so as to not be good enough to be official. But it is good enough to be seen, read, enjoyed, and unofficial. It gives insight into the past. Whether LC has 12½ in
playoffs of 10½ does not matter as much as knowing he was a beast in the post-season, and if he ever gets into the HOF it will be as much for his post-season play
as anything...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

thanks, just curious. Greenwood did play very well vs Dallas . . .
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Jay Z ... thought is was Wright against Greenwood in 1979 ...
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

My favorite quote involving Wright came prior to his first pro start against the Rams in 1969. Asked how he was going to deal with HOF DE Deacon Jones, Wright replied,"How is he going to deal with me?"
racepug

Post by racepug »

RRMarshall wrote:My favorite quote involving Wright came prior to his first pro start against the Rams in 1969. Asked how he was going to deal with HOF DE Deacon Jones, Wright replied,"How is he going to deal with me?"
Now THAT's confidence!