Any sure way to tell potential stars?

racepug

Any sure way to tell potential stars?

Post by racepug »

This runs across sports but I'm sticking with football, here. And quarterbacks. You have QBs in the P.F.H.o.F. who were drafted in the first round (John Elway, Peyton Manning), guys who were drafted late (Bart Starr). Guys from college football powerhouses (Joe Namath, Joe Montana), but also ones who came from small schools/non-football powerhouses (Sonny Jurgensen, Terry Bradshaw, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner), guys who were stars in college (John Elway, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning) and guys who hardly anyone had heard of come draft time (Tom Brady*). There've been guys who were drafted late (Johnny U.) or not at all (Kurt Warner, Warren Moon), guys who were shunted around a bit before "finding their footing" (Johnny U., Len Dawson), even guys who started their career in a different league (Otto Graham, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Kurt Warner). I guess this goes to show that there's no surefire way of telling who's going to be a star in the league and who isn't.

*I'm well aware that Tom Brady isn't in the P.F.H.o.F. but I think we can all agree that he's a surefire first-ballot H.o.F.er and there really isn't any question about that.
Brian wolf

Re: Any sure way to tell potential stars?

Post by Brian wolf »

For NFL fans, you want to know as much about drafted players as possible, particularly when you're rooting for a team but as adults get older, you worry more about real-life problems rather than any type of entertainment, television, movies, or even competitive sports. Those fans who are drawn to what sporting events can bring, just want honest physical effort and mental strength without seeing players embarrass themselves or their teammates. As a coach, Vince Lombardi worried about his players embarrassing themselves on the field more than anything because he knew his livelihood was at stake and more importantly, the integrity of the sport and the game were crucial to sustained growth for this professional league.

Fans follow teams and talented players and if they can find out as much about a player's work ethic before being drafted, they will know and hopefully see a players development in the right direction. Hard work and seizing opportunities can always sound like a cliche but luck is involved as well because money compensation and injuries are the shadows that always follow the players around and a true spartan determination, while learning and recognizing any situation can allow the success that happens when opportunity presents itself for competitive players to work towards. Stardom can then, take care of itself ...
GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: Any sure way to tell potential stars?

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Brian wolf wrote:For NFL fans, you want to know as much about drafted players as possible, particularly when you're rooting for a team but as adults get older, you worry more about real-life problems rather than any type of entertainment, television, movies, or even competitive sports. Those fans who are drawn to what sporting events can bring, just want honest physical effort and mental strength without seeing players embarrass themselves or their teammates. As a coach, Vince Lombardi worried about his players embarrassing themselves on the field more than anything because he knew his livelihood was at stake and more importantly, the integrity of the sport and the game were crucial to sustained growth for this professional league.

Fans follow teams and talented players and if they can find out as much about a player's work ethic before being drafted, they will know and hopefully see a players development in the right direction. Hard work and seizing opportunities can always sound like a cliche but luck is involved as well because money compensation and injuries are the shadows that always follow the players around and a true spartan determination, while learning and recognizing any situation can allow the success that happens when opportunity presents itself for competitive players to work towards. Stardom can then, take care of itself ...
Well said. And then you have talented players who seemingly aren't as focused on football (we all can name many, so I won't single anyone out) and they don't make it.

Brady is a good example of opportunity. He took the opportunity he had at Michigan -- he had to trade playing time with Drew Henson or Brady Hoke (not remembering who off the top of my head) -- and he turned that into being drafted.

Then when Bledsoe was injured, Brady took advantage of that opportunity as well. Favre -- same with Majkowski. Kurt Warner was actually in the Packers camp -- behind Favre, Hasselback, and I think Ty Detmer, or actually I think it was Mark Brunell as I'm typing this -- sorry -- my memory bank isn't always 100%. Then Trent Green got hurt and here's Kurt Warner next on the chart and the famous "We will play good football with Kurt Warner" quote from Vermeil. Which is another thing -- coaching -- Vermeil wasn't going to let his team fall into dispair. So, there has to be opportunity and the work ethic/preparation/talent to make it happen.

These are just a couple of examples but there are many throughout history.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael