49ers 80s Championship Era: Most Underrated

Ness

Re: 49ers 80s Championship Era: Most Underrated

Post by Ness »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Dwaine Board was already mentioned, and personally I think he was arguably the most underrated 49ers on defense during that decade.
The Steelers drafted him in 1979. He showed promise, but they let him go because they wanted to keep Dwight White, and they also had John Banaszak.
Steelers also cut Brent Jones shortly after taking him in the 5th round of the 1986 draft. Oof.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

I'm going to mention two guys who played on the 1st four 49ers Super Bowl teams. Both were defensive players. My #1 choice:

Keena Turner OLB. Did not get a lot of post season honors, mainly I think because he wasn't a big pass rusher. Very consistent player though IMO.

My #2. Eric Wright CB who famously made the one hand tackle on Drew Pearson during the 1981 NFC Championship game.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

PK Ray Wersching. Incredibly consistent kicker despite playing all his home games in perhaps the worst field and weather conditions in the league at the time.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

RRMarshall wrote:PK Ray Wersching. Incredibly consistent kicker despite playing all his home games in perhaps the worst field and weather conditions in the league at the time.
Agree completely on Wersching, he surely would have been a Pro Bowler with a team playing his home games on AstroTurf.

I always thought that Willie Harper was underrated, even in the 70s. He went to the USFL after playing 11 years with San Francisco and still was productive.