49ers 80s Championship Era: Most Underrated

Oszuscik

49ers 80s Championship Era: Most Underrated

Post by Oszuscik »

Why not? Let's keep this going.

Packers won five championships in the 60's, the Steelers four in the 70's, and the 49ers four in the 80's, yet when you think of the 49ers from that decade it's a lot harder to rattle off names like you can for the Packers and Steelers. Montana. Rice. Lott. Dwight Clark. Is it because their roster had more turnover than the Packers or Steelers did? If that's the case, that's interesting because there wasn't yet any free agency in the 80's.

I think Roger Craig is an easy answer for most underrated. As the first true dual-threat RB he probably does belong in the HOF.
ChrisBabcock

Re: 49ers 80s Championship Era: Most Underrated

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Their very good if not excellent offensive line from that era rarely gets talked about. So I'll nominate the trio of Randy Cross, Keith Fahnhorst and Jesse Sapolu.

Also, even though he's more of a 90s 49er, Brent Jones was very underrated.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I agree with the offensive linemen, I would add Fred Quillan and John Ayers. But nowadays my pick would be Freddie Solomon. Overshadowed by Clark and replaced by Rice, he was a very important part of the 49ers first two Super Bowl titles.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yes to almost all of the above -- I first thought of the O-Line and then Freddie Solomon. Bruce Collie was another excellent OLine for them and so was Steve Wallace, of course. Bubba Parris, Harris Barton. They were unsung heroes.

They had great D-Linemen as well. Jim Stuckey and Lawrence Pillars are the first two that come to mind. Dwaine Board was another.

Hard to pick the MOST underrated because I don't remember there being too many guys on the first SB team and the last SB team who aren't really well known. Russ Francis was a great TE for them and so was Brent Jones. Earl Cooper was outstanding that first SB run but once Roger Craig took over, people don't speak much of him. Tom Rathman was incredible, but he really gets his due with fans, I think.

If I had to pick one guy from those 49ers who isn't remembered as well but was IMO a key part of that team I'd say Keena Turner off the top of my head. I'm not sure if he played in all of the SBs but he seemed to be there for a long time and was an excellent LB.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Maybe this is a sign of being underrated...for a time, I thought Kevin Fagan and Pierce Holt was the same person.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

John Ayers was tough and underrated at guard. Solomon had a HOVG career. Dwight Hicks was the glue for the young secondary. Board was a hustle player on defense.

Most underrated

Ayers
Hicks
Turner
Soloman
Board
Ness

Post by Ness »

Eric Wright was a great corner in the 80's until he messed up his knee during the middle of the decade.

During the 1986 draft the 49ers took Don Griffin and Tim McKyer, who were pretty decent corners that helped the secondary the later half of the 80's into the early 90's.

Dwaine Board was already mentioned, and personally I think he was arguably the most underrated 49ers on defense during that decade.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Always thought Carlton Williamson was a quality player who didn't get the accolades he deserved. Went to back to back Pro Bowls in the 80s
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

From 1986-1990, lots of defensive lineman contributed to their winning ways with Haley, Fagan and Holt more well known but Carter and Roberts were underrated as well. Even Pete Kuglar was on three championship teams ...
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Dwaine Board was already mentioned, and personally I think he was arguably the most underrated 49ers on defense during that decade.
The Steelers drafted him in 1979. He showed promise, but they let him go because they wanted to keep Dwight White, and they also had John Banaszak.