1971 NFL season tidbits

74_75_78_79_

Re: 1971 NFL season tidbits

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Two historically awesome defenses from that year! And they both met on MNF, Week #6, in a battle of 4-1s! It was the defending-Champ, Colts, at last year's best regular season record, Minnesota Vikes! Home team winning by a 10-3 final score. Colts' D and run-game was so much better. Problem, though, was the sudden decline of their passing game. I really wouldn't mind seeing one of, or all three of, the Colts/Dolphins matchups from that very year. See how Curtis, 'Stork', and Bubba Smith fare against Csonka, Mercury, and Kiick!
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

IIRC the two regular season Colts-Dolphins games were fairly close. Was surprised at the AFC title game final score back when I was 8 years old!!
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:A few years I read in the old forum that 1971 was the year that had the (evntually) most players enshrined into the PFHOF. Can anybody confirm that?
Too lazy to count, but I do remember reading an article written in 1973 that said zone defenses were even more effective because all of the HOF QBs recently retired. Just looking at QBs in 1971, you had 11 HOFers (can you name them all off the top of your head?), although not many of them could be considered in their 'prime', and the overall NFL passer rating was 62.2.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:
Teo wrote:A few years I read in the old forum that 1971 was the year that had the (evntually) most players enshrined into the PFHOF. Can anybody confirm that?
Too lazy to count, but I do remember reading an article written in 1973 that said zone defenses were even more effective because all of the HOF QBs recently retired. Just looking at QBs in 1971, you had 11 HOFers (can you name them all off the top of your head?), although not many of them could be considered in their 'prime', and the overall NFL passer rating was 62.2.
George Blanda, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Len Dawson, Sonny Jurgensen, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Namath, Bob Griese, Roger Staubach, Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw
lehotskys80

Post by lehotskys80 »

An indispensable resource for the 1971 season is "Pro Football Review", a joint effort of Sports Illustrated and Pro Football Weekly. It was only issued one year (1972) covering the 1971 season, and has play-by-play charts for every game including playoffs and Super Bowl.

I created the 1971 APBA Football Game computer disk and it was invaluable for things like sacks taken by each quarterback and kicker accuracy (makes/misses from particular ranges). In coordination with the release of the disk, I wrote a detailed summary of the 1971 season for every team for the APBA Journal and can post it, if anyone is interested.
Attachments
ProFootballReview1.png
ProFootballReview1.png (98.69 KiB) Viewed 7258 times
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

lehotskys80 wrote:An indispensable resource for the 1971 season is "Pro Football Review", a joint effort of Sports Illustrated and Pro Football Weekly. It was only issued one year (1972) covering the 1971 season, and has play-by-play charts for every game including playoffs and Super Bowl.

I created the 1971 APBA Football Game computer disk and it was invaluable for things like sacks taken by each quarterback and kicker accuracy (makes/misses from particular ranges). In coordination with the release of the disk, I wrote a detailed summary of the 1971 season for every team for the APBA Journal and can post it, if anyone is interested.
I would be interested. I love the one-off book productions. I have a book issued in 1981 that is a detailed review of the 1980 season called Portrait of a Season (IIRC). It was produced by NFL Properties, but I can't find anything similar for other seasons.
lehotskys80

Post by lehotskys80 »

Bryan wrote:I would be interested. I love the one-off book productions. I have a book issued in 1981 that is a detailed review of the 1980 season called Portrait of a Season (IIRC). It was produced by NFL Properties, but I can't find anything similar for other seasons.
What you're looking for is called an NFL Properties Publication called "Prolog" and (I believe) was originally part of the Super Bowl programs. The first issue covered the 1970 season and is called "Prolog '71". Search ebay for NFL Prolog and you'll find a lot of choices. Much of the week by week coverage in the magazines were originally in the SB programs. I have a SB VI program and it has a subset of what's in the magazine. The magazine has additional interviews and (obviously) the Super Bowl review, which wouldn't be in the SB program. Not sure what year they stopped including it but the next program I have is from SB XXVII and it's not in there.

I tried to attach the file but it says extension pdf is not allowed and when I zipped it, it's larger than 256 KB. I even tried zipping 1 page of it and it's 397 KB.

I posted them to Google Drive - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing - there are 2 pdfs - 1 for NFC and AFC each. Read the NFC first as it gives the background for the entire project. Enjoy!