The least-spectacular 1st-Rd of an NFL draft?

74_75_78_79_

The least-spectacular 1st-Rd of an NFL draft?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

After Bo Jackson as the top pick, not too much went down, relatively, in 1986. But there had to be worse 1st-Rds. Or were there?
7DnBrnc53

Re: The least-spectacular 1st-Rd of an NFL draft?

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

2013. Maybe the worst first round ever. So many busts (Luke Joeckel, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Dee Milliner, etc...).
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

The very first draft pick of the very first draft (Jay Berwanger, 1936) never played a down in the NFL...
After that it had to get better...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Berwanger
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:2013. Maybe the worst first round ever. So many busts (Luke Joeckel, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Dee Milliner, etc...).
I agree with 2013, even that DeAndre Hopkins and Cordarrelle Patterson were 1st rounders that year. But Travis Kelce and Keenan Allen falling to the 3rd round and Adam Thielen going undrafted? If that draft was to be done 5 years later both of them (along with Zach Ertz and others) would have been first rounders.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

When I was growing up I always thought of the 1982 NFL Draft 1st round. Sure you had HOFamers Marcus Allen and Mike Munchak, as welll as HOVG-type Gerald Riggs and Mike Quick, plus Super Bowl winning-QB Jim McMahon. But the majority of the rest (Kenneth Sims, Art Schlichter, Lindsay Scott, Anthony Hancock, Perry Tuttle, Rod Hill) were disappointing or awful in the NFL. (Tuttle and Hill eventually went to the CFL and were good in Winnipeg).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Great call on the 1992 Draft, GameBeforeTheMoney ...

The second-round picks overall were better than the first-round players. GB gave up their first-round pick to Atlanta for Brett Favre, who was "allowed" to pass his physical by order of GM Ron Wolf to the team physician. Worked out pretty well. Atlanta took RB Tony Smith with that pick but he never lasted long ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The 2015 and 2018 First Round Draft Picks were very disappointing as well.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

1976 had a weak First Round ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote:1976 had a weak First Round ...
Seattle drafted Steve Niehaus, a DT from Notre Dame, 2nd overall. I remember reading a story from 1972 where Walt Patulski and Mike McCoy referencing the saying "it takes you 2 years to unlearn what you learned at Notre Dame"...which referenced the numerous high DL draft picks from Notre Dame who all struggled (with the exception of Alan Page) in the NFL. In general, it seemed like Notre Dame DLs never developed any pass rushing technique, yet their DTs would usually be moved to DE in the NFL because they were too small/weak to hold the point of attack. Has anyone else heard of this saying? I guess I find it odd that Seattle would draft Niehaus so high if the general axiom in the NFL was that Notre Dame produced shoddy DLs.