2022 Hall of Very Good

RyanChristiansen

Re: 2022 Hall of Very Good

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Andy Piascik wrote:If you can come up with a system where we can still elect 7-10 people each year with reasonably high vote totals without stipulating that people vote for ten candidates, the HOVG Committee is all ears.
I think the answer to the question is to get buy-in from the membership. If you're invested in the process, you're more likely to participate.

Step 1: Call for Nominations - Each nomination must be submitted with a justification of at least 100 words. Maximum X number of nominations. This can start immediately after HOVG voting is finalized for a certain year. Simply open a new thread on the forum where people can post nominations. If they want to send them to the committee by email, then the committee would post those nominations and justifications on the forum for the nominator. This allows for people to nominate players throughout much of the year as they come across new research, and it allows for continuous open discussion. (See Step 2.)

Step 2: Post the Nominations with Justifications for Discussion. This is done throughout the nomination process. Nominations and justifications for the year are posted into a specific thread in the forum where people can discuss.

Step 3: Cut Down to 16 - The committee plus everyone who nominated at least X number of players gets to participate in the cut down discussion and cut down voting. Participants use rank voting to SEED the nominees based on how likely they feel the player will be voted into the HOVG. Nominations are entered into a bracket of 16.

Step 4: Bracket Voting - Cuts down the field from 16 to 8. The 8 finalists make it into the HOVG.

This system would accomplish the following goals:

-- Guarantees nominators put at least 100 words of thought into a nomination and it puts their justifications up to public scrutiny.
-- Allows the entire membership to participate in discussion surrounding the initial nominations.
-- Allows for wider participation by those members who put in the work to nominate at least X number of players and provide justifications.
-- Previews for the entire membership how the cut-down committee and participants feel about the 16 finalists. Sometimes voters want recommendations.
-- Nominations that are "on the fence" appear in the middle parts of the bracket. Ultimately, members decide which nomination remains.
-- Guarantees 8 finalists each year. Each finalist survived nomination, justification, discussion, comparison, and adjudication.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

How many dues-paying members does the PRFA have?

How many of those dues-paying members vote each year? How many make nominations each year? Is there a year-by-year breakdown available?
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

This year, we received 85 nominations from 28 members. It's likely we would have received more but the only announcement about nominations that appeared in The Coffin Corner did not include either my e-mail or mailing addresses as has been the case in previous years. I don't have a year-by-year breakdown but it's usually a bit less. Plus the announcement only ran once whereas in previous years, it usually appeared two or three times.

In 2021, 127 members voted in the election. Other HOVG Committee members may have vote totals for previous years but I don't. I would estimate the vote total was 80-100 in recent years, somewhat lower in the early years.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Andy Piascik wrote:This year, we received 85 nominations from 28 members. It's likely we would have received more but the only announcement about nominations that appeared in The Coffin Corner did not include either my e-mail or mailing addresses as has been the case in previous years. I don't have a year-by-year breakdown but it's usually a bit less. Plus the announcement only ran once whereas in previous years, it usually appeared two or three times.

In 2021, 127 members voted in the election. Other HOVG Committee members may have vote totals for previous years but I don't. I would estimate the vote total was 80-100 in recent years, somewhat lower in the early years.
Thanks, Andy.

In 2021, we had nearly 600 total members - 488 dues-paying and 94 comp, according to the 2021 annual report (http://profootballresearchers.org/membe ... Report.pdf). Are all of them eligible to nominate and vote?
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Comps are not eligible to do so.
George Bozeka

Post by George Bozeka »

I realize that everyone is quite passionate and opinionated about the HOVG. Please keep all comments on the topic civil, respectful, and professional. Be courteous even if you disagree with the opinions of others posting on the topic.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

George Bozeka wrote:I realize that everyone is quite passionate and opinionated about the HOVG. Please keep all comments on the topic civil, respectful, and professional. Be courteous even if you disagree with the opinions of others posting on the topic.
well spoken
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

rhickok1109 wrote:As usual, I can't vote because I don't see 10 people who deserve a vote.
I've never had a problem finding 10 candidates I approve of. I have to work hard every year to trim my list to 10 players.