Favorite QB/RB/WR with 1 or less accolade???

TanksAndSpartans

Favorite QB/RB/WR with 1 or less accolade???

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I just wanted to piggyback off Ness's OL post because the player that popped into my head wasn't am OL, but rather a RB - Tony Nathan.

I thought I'd be able to use Ness's "no accolades" cleanly, but turns out Nathan made All-Pro as a rookie, not at RB, but as a kick returner. The skill positions are very competitive to earn accolades. I'm thinking folks will have some good ones - bonus points for 0 accolades.
Sonny9

Re: Favorite QB/RB/WR with 1 or less accolade???

Post by Sonny9 »

Mark van Eeghen
Johnny Hector
Larry Kinnebrew
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Clarence Davis was an underrated runner and blocker for the Raiders who had a great SB against the Vikings ...

Pete Johnson had one PB but a battering ram FB with good TD numbers.
Tony Nathan was very underrated for the Dolphins.

James Wilder was similar to Derrick Henry but was overused after a few seasons and petered out.
RB Paul Hofer was a Niner fan favorite who did it all but had a short career due to knee injuries.

At QB, Charley Johnson had a winning record but was treated better by the military than his St Louis Cardinals. He helped the Denver Broncos have their first winning seasons.

Stan Humphries for SD made no PB but had a good winning pct as starter.
Tom Flores made his only PB in his last season as Raiders QB in 1966. He had winning seasons in 63, 65 and 66 before being traded and injured in Buffalo ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Jimmy Mac only made one PB but won most of his starts with Da' Bears

Daryl Turner was a TD scorer with the Seahawks but played only four seasons.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:'m thinking folks will have some good ones - bonus points for 0 accolades.
Bob Chandler had 0 accolades, but he had the most WR receptions in the NFL from 1975-1977. He had great hands and a complete disregard for punishment. I think he had to retire a bit prematurely due to internal organ failure from so many hits.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thought of another one from my youth, stretching the rules a bit - Wendell Tyler. He picked up a single All-Pro ('82). He did get a Pro Bowl in '84. Should that count? I'm thinking it may have been as a replacement.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

How about Duane Thomas, lead running back for the Super Bowl VI (1971) Champion Dallas Cowboys?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... omDu00.htm
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JuggernautJ wrote:How about Duane Thomas, lead running back for the Super Bowl VI (1971) Champion Dallas Cowboys?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... omDu00.htm

Thomas was definitely very good. I think his SB VI performance is a bit overblown...he had a nice day of 19-95-1, but Walt Garrison was equally effective and the Cowboys as a team had 252 rushing yards. The Dolphins never really figured out how to stop the Cowboy offense in that game. Gil Brandt would later say something like "if Duane Thomas had remained on the Cowboys and played up to his potential, we would have beaten the Steelers in those Super Bowls and been the team of the 70's". Not really sure if I buy that, but its an interesting premise.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Two of of my favorite players when I was growing up … and one was traded for the other.

Donny Anderson and MacArthur Lane.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Stephone Paige and Reggie Rucker.