HOVG Candidacy of a pair of Denver Broncos defensive backs

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Halas Hall

HOVG Candidacy of a pair of Denver Broncos defensive backs

Post by Halas Hall »

What do people think of these two former Denver Broncos safeties - Bill Thompson and Dennis Smith? I think both have strong cases for the Hall of the Very Good and will likely nominate at least one this year.

Thank you.
Brian wolf

Re: HOVG Candidacy of a pair of Denver Broncos defensive bac

Post by Brian wolf »

Both were great. I felt Smith had a better career than Atwater but didnt get a SB win. I also feel Louis Wright should be in the HOF ...
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Brian wolf wrote:Both were great. I felt Smith had a better career than Atwater but didnt get a SB win. I also feel Louis Wright should be in the HOF ...
Agreed. Wright didn't have great hands, which helped contribute to low career interception totals, but he was fantastic in coverage. I would take him over Ken Riley in the HOF.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

conace21 wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Both were great. I felt Smith had a better career than Atwater but didnt get a SB win. I also feel Louis Wright should be in the HOF ...
Agreed. Wright didn't have great hands, which helped contribute to low career interception totals, but he was fantastic in coverage. I would take him over Ken Riley in the HOF.
as would i Conace as would i
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

rewing84 wrote:
conace21 wrote:
as would i Conace as would i
When I hear people espouse Lester Hayes for the Hall I know they just looked at a leaderboard not film, Wright was far superior and Hall worthy.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Spill the beans Nick ... based on film study, which senior CBs, deserve the HOF ?

As I have mentioned before, without the racial policies in the NFL, not to mention military service former Colt Milt Davis might have made the HOF. A true ballhawk with two championships. Was drafted by the Lions in 1954 but despite coming back from military service, was unable to make the team in 1956 because the team didnt have another black player to room him with ... Possibly another example of racial relations that has kept Buddy Parker out of the HOF, though hopefully his chance will come this year.