AJ Green HOVG ?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: AJ Green HOVG ?

Post by Brian wolf »

Collinsworth was like Houshmanzada ... overachievers
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

I think Green needed the Cardinals stint to work out for him to make the HOF. When it looked like things were going to work on the Cardnials and they were winning last year and Green looked like he would reach 1000 yards I thought it was going to be hard to keep Green out(his averages were a little higher too) because I thought he'd play a few more years and win some playoff games. That ultimatly didn't happen and I think he will just miss the Hall as a result.

To me he seems like the textbook case for a resume the Hall will reject because it was a pass happy era. I don't think Chad Johnson will make the HOF but he has those 2 All Pros and the whole celebrity thing which as the decades past will keep him in memory.

I'm more of a PB guy> AP guy than a lot of you because AP's have more of a margin of error than the PB because you're picking less people and it's a more subjective choice. But I'm still not quite there. I do think if Green had made an 8th PB he would have made it because then he would have had more than AB and Julio Jones. But he needed that 8th Pro Bowl season IMO.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

In fairness to Green in his early years with the Bengals, he didnt have a HOF complimental receiver like Holt and Wayne had ... he was it for Cincinatti. The Bengals also were winning, though they could never win a playoff game. Had it not been for injury plagued years in 2014 and 16, not to mention the disastrous years from 2018-2020, where many people believe Green malingered after getting paid, he easily could have had close to 12-13,000 yards receiving and 85-90 TDs, though an inflated numbers era ... Not to sound critical, because no one knows how truly injured Green was--he did miss the entire 2019 season--but players seem to think that once they get those huge signing bonuses on a second or luckily, a third contract ... that their hunger for the game and being the best, can diminish along with it. Michael Thomas in New Orleans is going through the same thing ...