PFHOF class of 2021

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
ChrisBabcock

PFHOF class of 2021

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Manning, Megatron, Woodson, Faneca, Lynch, Pearson, Flores, Nunn

Any surprises, disappointments, snubs? Discuss!......
sluggermatt15

Re: PFHOF class of 2021

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I originally thought Manning, Woodson and either Boselli or Faneca were locks. So the fact three of them are in isn't a surprise.

Bill Nunn, I think it was only a matter of time for him. He was deserving.

Calvin Johnson is borderline, but I can't believe he is first ballot.

I am most disappointed with Flores and John Lynch. Definitely other deserving candidates who played safety other than him, like Ken Riley and Jimmy Patton. The last two safeties in, Lynch & Atwater are questionable, in my viewpoint. Instead of Flores, I'd like to see Chuck Knox, Dick Vermeil, Mike Holmgren, Marty Schottenheimer, Don Coryell - to name several.

Drew Pearson isn't the best senior candidate, I believe, but after writing up the HOVG bio for him this past week, I can see how great he was. I would have liked to see other seniors but oh well.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

I think Lynch was a reach and agree that Atwater before him was as well. I really can never recall Lunch jumping off the film at me in the way Reed or Polamalu did, even Matheiu today I think does much more.

Pearson is neither the best qualified WR (Shofner) nor the best qualified Cowboy (Howley).

I tend to think that we're officially in the "Big Hall" era, what do others think?
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I don't understand how Lynch is ahead of other DBs like Patton, LeRoy Butler, Dave Grayson, Bobby Boyd, George Saimes, Riley, Joey Browner, and Cornell Green.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I agree with the previous comment. Darren Woodson, Meador, Anderson/Scott, Robinson and Cromwell were as good, if not better than Lynch or Harris, though Lynch paid his dues as a multiple finalist. I also felt Dennis Smith was better than his teammate, Atwater. Butler will probably get elected next year, which would make him the 12th safety these last six years after seven in the first 54 years !

The election of Johnson doesnt surprise me. Though he could have waited, his talent and measurables, like Moss or Polamalu, just stays in the media's minds. A talented player will always trump a player with less talent but more determination to get the most out of his ability like a Pearson, Ward or Zack Thomas ...

Next year could have three linebackers if Thomas, Ware and Gradishar get in, though some look at Ware as a DE ...

With Flores now in, hopefully another two-time champion like Parker gets voted in but it may be another modern coaching candidate ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I figured Megatron would get in, but not first ballot. Let's see if he and the Lions kiss and make up. He's stayed away from team functions ever since he had to pay them back some of his signing bonus after retiring.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Disagree with Webster and I'll leave it there
Last edited by rewing84 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Unbelievable pass rush by the Bucs ... a great defensive game plan. Did KC receivers run patterns or just run scattershot the entire game ? A weird game in a lot of ways and they just lost composure ... penalties didnt help.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Haha ... commented on the wrong thread but this game may have helped Gronk even more as a future first ballot candidate ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote:Haha ... commented on the wrong thread but this game may have helped Gronk even more as a future first ballot candidate ...
I thought Gronk was a first-ballot cinch before this season. Another ring only solidifies it.

He'll only be 32 when the 2021 season starts, which means he' still got some gas left in the tank. Guess that year away from the game really helped.