PFHOF class of 2021

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Re: PFHOF class of 2021

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Had Drew Pearson had a tear-away jersey the possession after 'The Catch', he would have already been inducted! That especially applies if Dallas then beats Cincy at Pontiac two weeks later.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

One thing I believe the Hall has to adjust for and look at is the number of receivers or potential backlog, due to the inflated numbers since at least 2007 when the league started scaling back the hitting, with defenseless(?) receiver penalties. Yes, it was offset with more scrutiny of secure possession passes but the receiving numbers have been insane, and are they more about skill or just handcuffing secondaries with more penalties, including more frequent pass interference calls?

With Johnson voted in, you still have others waiting their turn like Ward, Holt, Wayne, Andre Johnson, Boldin, Smith and others like Jimmy Smith, Mason and Rod Smith, just too many to consider ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dreadful all around. I don't know who is deciding these "senior" candidates, but it is almost as bad as the Baseball Hall of Fame. Imagine the every possible player, coach, executive, contributor who could be inducted through the senior process, and these are the three people they select?

Tom Flores - already dozens of coaches in the HOF, do we really need another? And it's not even an 'inspired' selection like Don Coryell, Buddy Parker, Blanton Collier, etc.

Bill Nunn - nice story, part of NFL history, but Hall of Fame? This reminds me of when Bob Carroll included Tom Dempsey in his Top 100 NFL players list...its logically indefensible. Of all the GMs throughout history that have never even been considered for the HOF, and the guy they put in is Bill Nunn? So, does Art Rooney Jr. get in next year? I'd have an easier time making a HOF argument for Joe Thomas.

Drew Pearson - good WR spends entire career with great team, is on TV a lot, scores a few TDs in the playoffs...Hall of Fame. Perhaps no other Hall of Fame player owes more of his enshrinement to circumstance. Pearson started 22 postseason games and scored in 6 of them, and the Cowboys were 4-2 in those games. Lynn Swann started 13 postseason games and scored in 8 of them, and the Steelers were 8-0 in those games (with 3 SB wins). We recently had a thread about Nat Moore, and its amazing how much more productive Moore was than Pearson, especially when it came to scoring TDs. Drew Pearson had two all-pro seasons (1974 & 1977) where he had 2 receiving TDs! At least guys like Isaac Curtis and John Jefferson were 'threats'. I'd take either of those guys over Pearson, along with several other WRs.

So, to sum up...Flores = political selection, "rings"....Nunn = political selection...Pearson = "Ring", "lets get him to stop bitching" selection...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

2022 Wishlist ...

Senior ... Gradishar
Coach ... Parker
Contributor ... Kilroy

Predictions ...

Senior ... Gradishar
Coach ... Reeves
Contributor ... Kraft
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

2022 Wishlist ...

Senior ... Gradishar
Coach ... Parker
Contributor ... Art McNally

Predictions ...

Senior ... Carl Banks
Coach ... Sam Wyche
Contributor ... Tom Benson
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Bryan wrote:Dreadful all around. I don't know who is deciding these "senior" candidates, but it is almost as bad as the Baseball Hall of Fame. Imagine the every possible player, coach, executive, contributor who could be inducted through the senior process, and these are the three people they select?

Tom Flores - already dozens of coaches in the HOF, do we really need another? And it's not even an 'inspired' selection like Don Coryell, Buddy Parker, Blanton Collier, etc.

Bill Nunn - nice story, part of NFL history, but Hall of Fame? This reminds me of when Bob Carroll included Tom Dempsey in his Top 100 NFL players list...its logically indefensible. Of all the GMs throughout history that have never even been considered for the HOF, and the guy they put in is Bill Nunn? So, does Art Rooney Jr. get in next year? I'd have an easier time making a HOF argument for Joe Thomas.

Drew Pearson - good WR spends entire career with great team, is on TV a lot, scores a few TDs in the playoffs...Hall of Fame. Perhaps no other Hall of Fame player owes more of his enshrinement to circumstance. Pearson started 22 postseason games and scored in 6 of them, and the Cowboys were 4-2 in those games. Lynn Swann started 13 postseason games and scored in 8 of them, and the Steelers were 8-0 in those games (with 3 SB wins). We recently had a thread about Nat Moore, and its amazing how much more productive Moore was than Pearson, especially when it came to scoring TDs. Drew Pearson had two all-pro seasons (1974 & 1977) where he had 2 receiving TDs! At least guys like Isaac Curtis and John Jefferson were 'threats'. I'd take either of those guys over Pearson, along with several other WRs.

So, to sum up...Flores = political selection, "rings"....Nunn = political selection...Pearson = "Ring", "lets get him to stop bitching" selection...
I agree with you on flores I'd would have rather seen don coryell in terms of contributors joe Thomas would have been a good one as far as wrs I would have put in branch curtis jackson john jefferson boyd dowler before 88
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Senior: gradishar
Coach coryell
Contributor:mcnally
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I'm guessing for 2022 that Boselli will finally get the call after it was Faneca this year. Torry Holt also. Surprised he didn't get in because I think he had a better career than Calvin Johnson.
racepug

Post by racepug »

sluggermatt15 wrote:I am most disappointed with Flores
The 1987 "Bo vs. The Boz" game has been on T.V. a few times the last few days. Watching a recording of it I was reminded that going into that game against the Seahawks in late November the Raiders were on a 7-game losing streak (and had been outscored by the Seahawks 70 - 3 in their last two trips to the Kingdome). Hmmmm. . .I wonder how many other head coaches who are in the P.F.H.o.F. endured 7-game losing streaks during their career. :roll:

I just took a closer look at Tom Flores' record as Raiders head coach. True, Flores had 6 winning seasons and his team won its division 3 times in the 9 years that he was head coach of the Raiders but his teams missed the playoffs in 4 of his years at the helm (including the last 2 - which no doubt explains why he was FIRED) and twice his team went into the playoffs as the top seed and LOST before it even got to the conference championship game.

Then, of course, came his absolute FLOP as head coach of the Seahawks (thanks for absolutely NUTHIN', Ken Behring!).

Personally, I will NEVER understand how Tom Flores got into the P.F.H.o.F. To me, him getting in paves the way for guys like Eli Manning to someday get in (although one as a player - I understand that).
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Bill Walsh started his career 0-7. Lombardi had a 5-game losing streak his first season. Early Landry teams -- at least one lost 7 in a row. That's just off the top of my head. I know it's later in Flores' career, but the point is that probably more than one would think. Chuck Noll lost several in a row late in his career, might have been five or six -- I'm sure someone on the board can tell us.

Flores had a win % of over .600 with the Raiders, playing in a rough AFC West with Coryell, and he was 8-3 in the playoffs. Flores won 2 SBs, both over HOF coaches. He also beat Noll in the playoffs. A really good coach, I don't have a problem with him being in the HOF at all. That's my own opinion, however.

I noted all of Drew Pearson's great accomplishments and history in a previous post, so I won't take the time to type them out again. He's one of those no question he belongs in the HOF guys, and should have been inducted a long time ago. Again, my opinion, but he's got a long list of clutch TDs and historic moments.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael