Make a HOVG Case for any of these Players

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JameisLoseston

Re: Make a HOVG Case for any of these Players

Post by JameisLoseston »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:I could be wrong T&S, maybe JuggernautJ has the answer but Faison and Kenn are locks this year ?
I get Kenn, but why Faison? I assume he got hurt? Seems to be a lot of passion for AFL/AAFC sometimes, turns me off when passion outweighs reason, but probably I'm being a bit unfair.
Every person here seems to have a passion for a particular era, team, player ... Some people seem to have a lot of passion for pre-NFL and early NFL players ... :D
What's one to make of me, then? Three of my, I'd say, 5 favorite players ever fall into each of these classes:

Early NFL: Benny Friedman

AAFC: Spec Sanders

AFL: Charley Hennigan
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

If the vote came to you J&L ... who would you choose, Lionel Taylor or Hennigan ? What are your thoughts on Burford, Powell and Otis Taylor ?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JameisLoseston wrote: What's one to make of me, then? Three of my, I'd say, 5 favorite players ever fall into each of these classes:

Early NFL: Benny Friedman

AAFC: Spec Sanders

AFL: Charley Hennigan
You've got your bases covered! Mine are:

Early NFL: Glenn Presnell

AAFC: Joe Perry or Marion Motley

AFL: Matt Snell

Pre-NFL: too hard to pick one
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Brian wolf wrote:If the vote came to you J&L ... who would you choose, Lionel Taylor or Hennigan ? What are your thoughts on Burford, Powell and Otis Taylor ?
Burford is the only one who isn't slam-dunk HOVG. He has some argument. Lionel also needs to be in the HOVG. Hennigan belongs in the HOF. Dude was peak Jerry Rice levels of unbelievable while he lasted. Bill Groman could be HOVG, but he's a matter of taste (he is very much to my own). It's probably not difficult to tell that I have a strong predilection for flashy guys.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JameisLoseston wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:Just out of curiosity to throw out a couple of names, have Jon Arnett and Willie Galimore ever been considered for the HOVG?

Or Dick Bass, who had two 1000 yard seasons?
Bass is the only one there with a case. Not while Lionel Taylor isn't in, though.
In the 1980's NFL Films made several films on the 1950s which they used to show on ESPN. I read in a coffee table book on running backs that at Steve Sabol's urging one year Willie Galimore was an Old Timers candidate for the HOF, but didn't get far.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Hennigan definitely had an impact on Blanda and Willie Brown's career and Powell should be in the HOF in my view.
With both Otis and Lionel having cases as well.
Powell overshadowed HOF players Maynard and Biletnikoff on his own teams. Imagine had he not gotten hurt in 1967?
I still wonder how good George Sauer Jr's career would have been had he not retired after only six seasons ?
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Just rechecked Powell's stats; yes, he's a great HOF candidate. He was more consistent than Howton and healthier longer than Shofner; it just depends on how you view AFL vs. NFL. Powell was 80% of Hennigan at his best, and obviously racked up more career counting numbers. He should absolutely be in if Biletnikoff is.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Alderman, Morgan, and Woodson were enshrined in the HOVG with this year's class.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Especially happy for Woodson, who was the Hester of his time on kickoff returns ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

Jameis Loseston wrote: Bill Groman could be HOVG, but he's a matter of taste (he is very much to my own).
I heard about him for the first time just a few years ago. So I did some research on him. He really does seem like a "hidden gem" of a player. It's a shame he got injured when he did (and in the manner that he did). Based on "early returns" it looks like he could've been a H.o.F. candidate if he'd stayed healthy.