Make a HOVG Case for any of these Players

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Make a HOVG Case for any of these Players

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Brian wolf wrote:I could be wrong T&S, maybe JuggernautJ has the answer but Faison and Kenn are locks this year ?
I get Kenn, but why Faison? I assume he got hurt? Seems to be a lot of passion for AFL/AAFC sometimes, turns me off when passion outweighs reason, but probably I'm being a bit unfair.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

I don't know how to properly quantify Faison. He certainly has the honors, and one thing HOVG was meant for is great short careers. His sack numbers are low, but I assume they're incomplete. Someone would have to give me more material to judge him on.

Morgan had one huge season. I don't see how I'd vote for him either.

I like Bert Jones a lot, however. His best 3 or so seasons are pretty comparable to Roger Staubach's 3 best, which is as glowing an endorsement for a 70s QB as there could be. He just had injury problems and wasn't quite the same again, but I believe he's in the top 25 of Rupert's all-time adjusted passer rating list (I need to get that book, by the way). He's solidly HOVG. Frank Ryan is another high-rated QB I want to see elected, and I'm assuming Phil Simms gets in this year.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

I just reregistered in October so I don't think i get a vote this year(haven't gotten the email) but I wouldn't vote for any of these candidates except Morgan(and this depends on the ballot and whether I'd consider him one of the top 10 which he might not be).
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote:I could be wrong T&S, maybe JuggernautJ has the answer but Faison and Kenn are locks this year ?
I'm sorry, what are you asking?

If you are asking me who is leading in the balloting I wouldn't reveal that (and I actually have been trying not to notice that as I assist with tabulating the votes). There will be an announcement when the votes are finally counted and double and triple checked (soon).

I don't know that anyone is ever "a lock". I certainly haven't been able to predict the results...

I'm the junior member of the committee so I haven't been privy to too many of these elections but from what I've seen each member of the PFRA has their own unique opinion as to who is worthy of enshrinement. And many of the candidates seem clumped somewhat closely together, so every vote counts.

It is an interesting process and seems to produce an accurate consensus.
I am sure there will be dissenters but overall the process seems to work relatively well (in that it represents the will of the voters).
TanksAndSpartans

JameisLoseston wrote:I don't know how to properly quantify Faison. He certainly has the honors, and one thing HOVG was meant for is great short careers.
I agree with this. I just thought he was another one of those reach AFL guys, but I can admit when I'm wrong.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote:I don't know how to properly quantify Faison. He certainly has the honors, and one thing HOVG was meant for is great short careers.
I agree with this. I just thought he was another one of those reach AFL guys, but I can admit when I'm wrong.
Among other considerations Earl "Tree" Faison was a standout defensive end on one of the best early-AFL defenses, the AFL Champion 1963 Chargers.

Faison was the seventh overall pick in the 1961 American Football League draft, winning Rookie of the Year and the Chargers' Most Valuable Player award that season. He was a five-time AFL All-Star Game selection, a four-time first-team All-AFL selection and was named to the Chargers Hall of Fame and 50th Anniversary Team.

He was aptly nicknamed "Tree" for his towering presence and tendency to swat down passes.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/264 ... -at-age-77

Earl didn't make our Hall this year... maybe in the future...
Here is some more info on him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Faison

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... isEa00.htm
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Just out of curiosity to throw out a couple of names, have Jon Arnett and Willie Galimore ever been considered for the HOVG?

Or Dick Bass, who had two 1000 yard seasons?
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

SixtiesFan wrote:Just out of curiosity to throw out a couple of names, have Jon Arnett and Willie Galimore ever been considered for the HOVG?

Or Dick Bass, who had two 1000 yard seasons?
Bass is the only one there with a case. Not while Lionel Taylor isn't in, though.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
I get Kenn, but why Faison? I assume he got hurt? Seems to be a lot of passion for AFL/AAFC sometimes, turns me off when passion outweighs reason, but probably I'm being a bit unfair.
Every person here seems to have a passion for a particular era, team, player ... Some people seem to have a lot of passion for pre-NFL and early NFL players ... :D
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
TanksAndSpartans

JeffreyMiller wrote:Some people seem to have a lot of passion for pre-NFL and early NFL players ... :D
Ha, Ha. Point taken. No one knows better than me what it feels like to have their area of interest discounted by the masses, I shouldn't do the same thing.