2022 HoF Semi-Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

2022 HoF Semi-Finalists

Post by JuggernautJ »

The Hall of Fame today announced 26 semi-finalists for the class of 2022:
https://www.nfl.com/news/pro-football-h ... ss-of-2022
Cornerback Eric Allen
Defensive end Jared Allen
Offensive tackle Willie Anderson
Cornerback/safety Ronde Barber
Wide receiver Anquan Boldin
Offensive tackle Tony Boselli
Safety LeRoy Butler
Running back Eddie George
Wide receiver/kick returner Devin Hester
Wide receiver Torry Holt
Wide receiver Andre Johnson
Defensive end Robert Mathis
Linebacker Sam Mills
Defensive tackle Richard Seymour
Wide receiver Steve Smith
Wide receiver/special teams Steve Tasker
Running back Fred Taylor
Linebacker Zach Thomas
Wide receiver Hines Ward
Linebacker DeMarcus Ware
Running back Ricky Watters
Wide receiver Reggie Wayne
Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork
Linebacker Patrick Willis
Safety Darren Woodson
Defensive tackle Bryant Young
Last edited by JuggernautJ on Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian wolf

Re: 2021 HoF Semi-Finalists

Post by Brian wolf »

You beat me to the post JuggernautJ

I couldnt remember the full list, just commenting on players who advanced and my disappointments that didnt.
conace21

Re: 2022 HoF Semi-Finalists

Post by conace21 »

Willis, Thomas, Ware, Butler, and Seymour would be my picks, though I wouldn't be surprised if Boselli snuck on there.

Eric Allen, Anquan Bolden, and Eddie George are the biggest surprises on this list for me.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Biggest surprises are Boldin, George and Wilfork.

With Mathis joining the list, I believe Ware will get in with Jared Allen next year ...

My Prediction For Class Of 2022

Boselli
Butler
Seymour
Thomas
R Barber (upset)
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Not an extremely strong class. I can't imagine an argument for Barber not getting in now. Jared Allen or Ware more likely to get in first ballot?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With Allen in his second year and Mathis and Ware in 1st year of eligibility, Ware could go in but if you take away his SB year, does he really have as good a case as Allen or Mathis. He is deserving yes but Mathis has been to two SBs, winning one and has more career forced fumbles. If Ware gets in, its because of that great SB postseason he had in 2015/16 ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Though former Buccaneer Lynch got in last year which could keep Ronde Barber out this year, if Barber was to get voted in, it will clearly, clear the queue ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Is this the last chance for Mills before entering the Seniors Pool? I thought that this was Clay Matthews last chance, but I believe they counted it last year (Matthews last played in 1996, Mills in 1997). If that's the case, also Herschel Walker will enter the Seniors' Pool (I don't think he is a Hall of Famer, but I believe he was better that many of the semifinalists, incluiding George and Taylor).
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

Eddie George is the most interesting selection IMO. I have him second among that large cluster of non all decade RB's drafted in the late 90s and early 2000s behind Corey Dillon. They are mostly on the wrong side of borderline IMO but this offers insight into how the HOF voters rank this cluster of RBs. You'd think 1 pro bowl would preclude Taylor(who I do not think should be in the HOF) from even being considered but it seems the committee is looking past that. I vaguely recall him being considered in the past? You'd think if they were going to go with a 1 pro bowl RB it'd be Jamal Lewis who made the all decade team and IMO has better stats(Taylor has better totals, Lewis better averages, the 2k yard season and the ring). I would have Watters above all these guys though and think he's the only running back who even has a prayer of induction this year in what will be a very competitive class.

In terms of snubs Simeon Rice is the one that stands out. I think he should be in the HOF. While this will be a very competitive fight for those 5 HOF spots quite a few of these semi finalists IMO should not be in the HOF. What do you all think? Him not even making the semis does not bode well for his future chances and I find that to be quite unfortunate.

If I had a vote I'd pick Ware, Hester, Boldin, Holt and Smith. Wayne, Ronde Barber, Jared Allen, Zach Thomas and Eric Allen would be who I'd fill out the top 10 with. The case I feel most strongly about with these is Boldin. I feel the consensus is he's the third of the first year WR's on the ballot behind Andre Johnson and Steve Smith but I rank them the opposite. Think Boldin compares well with Larry Fitzgerald and IMO is the best WR drafted in the 2000s outside of Megatron. In terms of actual predictions I'm saying Ware, Holt, Wayne, Thomas and Butler as the HOF voters have some sort of informal waiting policy. I think they should just pick the 5 best players every year but I know that's not how it works.

In any case I think Ware is the "lock" of this class. Hester should be a lock but from what I've read on here and other places the voters might not see it that way. I think next year he's a lock. While the HOF seems like it's pretty well isolated against local media/fanbase lobbying Hester is the sort of candidate whose omission would draw serious national scrutiny like TO's did and I think the HOF would induct him to avoid further criticism. I hope Tasker is not inducted simply because his eligibility is almost up. I do not think he belongs in the HOF.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

My picks:

R Barber
D Ware
T Holt
Z Thomas
J Allen

Let Hester wait a few years. A lot of these receivers like Ward and Boldin seem like textbook HOVG to me.