My HOVG Watch List!

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: My HOVG Watch List!

Post by Brian wolf »

Hugh Taylor and Alyn Beals have cases as well.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:@Zero26, good take on Cloyce Box. What do you think of Elbie Nickel?
I'd like his numbers for a tight end, but I don't think we're making that distinction for this era.

Someone also mentioned Alyn Beals, who's a weird "all he does is catch touchdowns" case, and clearly highly dependent on prime Frankie Albert. He might have as much of a case as Kutner, though.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Groman couldnt sustain enough success
Bill Groman was before my time but from what I've read of him he could've been an all-time great had he not been (seriously) injured: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/143 ... touchdowns
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

For what it is worth, I like Ernie Green for the HOVG. Green was overshadowed by first Jim Brown and then Leroy Kelly, but he fit in pretty well with Brown and Kelly, being a tremendous blocker. Also, his rushing stats were good as well and he was a very good receiver. In 1967, he led Cleveland in receptions. I think that Green was a great all around player in his own right.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Saban wrote:For what it is worth, I like Ernie Green for the HOVG. Green was overshadowed by first Jim Brown and then Leroy Kelly, but he fit in pretty well with Brown and Kelly, being a tremendous blocker. Also, his rushing stats were good as well and he was a very good receiver. In 1967, he led Cleveland in receptions. I think that Green was a great all around player in his own right.
In one of my old preview magazines, the part about the Browns backfield says "Ernie Green is much more than a spear-carrier." Not really sure of the context or if it is implicitly racist, but kind of an interesting comment nonetheless.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bryan wrote:
Saban wrote:For what it is worth, I like Ernie Green for the HOVG. Green was overshadowed by first Jim Brown and then Leroy Kelly, but he fit in pretty well with Brown and Kelly, being a tremendous blocker. Also, his rushing stats were good as well and he was a very good receiver. In 1967, he led Cleveland in receptions. I think that Green was a great all around player in his own right.
In one of my old preview magazines, the part about the Browns backfield says "Ernie Green is much more than a spear-carrier." Not really sure of the context or if it is implicitly racist, but kind of an interesting comment nonetheless.
This would have been the mid-60s. A preview magazine of the time would have said the same if Ernie Green was white.

Per my moniker, I was around back then. I read the preview magazines every year. I liked Ernie Green as a player. He did his job without a lot of publicity.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:@Zero26, good take on Cloyce Box. What do you think of Elbie Nickel?
HOVG worthy. Is he one of the most deserving right now? Probably not, but I feel he is one who will be elected one day.