My HOVG Watch List!

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JameisLoseston

My HOVG Watch List!

Post by JameisLoseston »

I've been planning on putting one of these out for a while now, so here's a list of guys I would consider supporting for the HOVG. The five bolded are the ones I would currently nominate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

Any of them are players I would be interested in voting for were they to appear on the ballot; the guys at the bottom may depend on the strength of the ballot in question. Only eligible players are included. I'd love some more suggestions to add to this list, especially on defense; post some names, and if I like their candidacy, I'll give them a spot! Looking for feedback on some of the current inclusions as well.
Brian wolf

Re: My HOVG Watch List!

Post by Brian wolf »

Good list on the skill positions, though I wouldnt support Meredith, Plum, Jones or Groman. Groman couldnt sustain enough success, while Meredith and Plum werent clutch in the big games. Plum lost favor with his own teams. Glad you like Dale, who I think is very underrated. Had Morris stayed off the devil's dandruff, sky was the limit.

Taking a cue from TanksAndSpartans, I am going to nominate older players next year myself, though with Latone in now, will focus on players after 1945, like Cannady at linebacker, Don Doll of course, I like Kutner at receiver but like Groman, he may not have a long enough career but playing both ways, he also had 13 interceptions. Eddie Price of course but I also like safety Bert Rechichar, a Colt legend.
Ray Crouse on defense for Baltimore, who also recovered two critical Giant fumbles in the 1958 Championship game.
Another Colt to consider is John Sample, who I will be doing a post on soon. Drazenovich at MLB for the Skins was also an underrated player, along with Jim David, a DB for Cleveland.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote: Jim David, a DB for Cleveland.
Brian, you must've eaten tainted kielbasa for lunch. :P Jimmy spent his entire career (1952-59) in Detroit's secondary. A 3-time NFL champion and 6-time Pro Bowler, "The Hatchet" played in the shadow of fellow Chris's Crew members Jack Christiansen and Yale Lary. I think he's HOF worthy.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right Richard, had a brain freeze. Might have been thinking about Warren Lahr for the Browns ... Thanks
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Mal Kutner seems viable, I'll throw him on. He's a little less than Box as a receiver but gets extra for playing defense. Jim David as well. For some of these guys, I'd be looking for more stats just to get a better sense of what exactly I'm voting for. So for the time, I can go back to the 40s for DBs, 60s for DL, but only about 80s for ILBs. Whenever Hardy's eligible, he'll join my top 5 immediately.

I could also be persuaded to change one of my top 5 to Don Doll. I'd definitely want an explanation for his lean middle years. Refusal to throw to him seems like the easy one, but that wouldn't explain why he started producing so much again afterwards.

Dale seems like about the same guy as Dowler, who's been in for years, don't see why Dale isn't. Jones had a stronger peak, but burned out much quicker, so Dale ranks above him. The argument against Groman here seems misplaced, though; the standards for being HOVG-worthy are needless to say, much lower than the HOF, and one of its specific target demographics is guys who were amazing for a little while but couldn't sustain it, especially if the reason was injuries. He's in the middle of the pack for me, though.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

RichardBak wrote:
Brian wolf wrote: Jim David, a DB for Cleveland.
Brian, you must've eaten tainted kielbasa for lunch. :P Jimmy spent his entire career (1952-59) in Detroit's secondary. A 3-time NFL champion and 6-time Pro Bowler, "The Hatchet" played in the shadow of fellow Chris's Crew members Jack Christiansen and Yale Lary. I think he's HOF worthy.
Ack, ack! It's "The Hammer", not "The Hatchet".
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Nice spreadsheet. How about an OL? George Christensen?
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Nice spreadsheet. How about an OL? George Christensen?
I am only good at evaluating OL who I have watched play in their own time, which for me means 21st century. Before that, things like approximate value and All-Pros offer a vague idea, but take me back to the Al Wistert days and I get completely lost. In any case, I usually find these candidates by looking through career and season league-leaders and awards lists, and I lack that luxury for OL.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

Box is very underrated thank you for bringing him up. He scored the same amount of touchdowns as Kutner in 1 more game and had 2 10 td seasons. He just needed a little more longevity for his career to be appreciated.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

@Zero26, good take on Cloyce Box. What do you think of Elbie Nickel?