Gary Fencik HOVG

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Gary Fencik HOVG

Post by Brian wolf »

With light accolades throughout his career and other good to great safeties throughout the NFL, Gary Fencik of the Bears probably wont make the HOF, though he has a case.

He is definitely deserving of the HOVG though with a SB Championship, 40 career interceptions counting postseason and high tackle totals. Some estimates are over 1000 for his career which shows how much faith defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan had in him to play smart as the team maintained a blitzing, all-out effort to get to opposing QBs. Fencik may have fairly or unfairly been spotlighted for headhunting or cheap shots throughout his career but he reflected the aggressive attitude his coach Ryan and later Tobin wanted for the defense.

Had Fencik gone for more interceptions rather than big hits, his career might have gotten more pro bowl, All-pro spotlight but he, along with fellow safeties Doug Plank, Dave Duerson, and Todd Bell let receivers know that they were in for a long day if they ran inside routes or went over the middle.

Looking at Chicago Bears games during the 1975-87 Walter Payton era, it was obvious that the defense had to keep the Bears in games, as Neil Armstrong was fired after the 1981 season for failing to develop a QB or offense that could take advantage of Walter Payton's hard-nosed running and blocking. Due to the aggressive defense and popularity with its fans, Buddy Ryan was allowed to stay and continue to add pieces which resulted in a much-deserved championship for Fencik, as new HC Mike Ditka found a QB as aggressive --foolishly at times-- as his defense in McMahon, who didn't look pretty but was a winner ...
Bryan

Re: Gary Fencik HOVG

Post by Bryan »

Fencik delivered perhaps the hardest hit in modern NFL history when he obliterated poor Jimmy Robinson of the Giants. Look it up on youtube if you haven't seen it before. I think it was from the 1977 NYG-CHI game.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: Gary Fencik HOVG

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I grew up in the NFC Central market and so I saw him play quite a bit. He always impressed with his hard-hitting defense. He and Chuck Cecil were somewhat similar, although I consider Cecil better overall. But Fencik in the HOVG is an easy idea to get behind.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael