Cecil Isbell for Canton?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Cecil Isbell for Canton?

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Brian wolf wrote:Wow T&S ... thought you might endorse Isbell for the HOF. I feel if Herber wasnt already elected, Cecil might get more consideration but the Centennial Class would have been his best shot.
I may still have a Centennial Class hangover, but since there's no chance of anyone borderline getting in anyway, I mostly just support the handful fo true snubs :)
Zero26

Re: Cecil Isbell for Canton?

Post by Zero26 »

He's a longevity case he didn't play that long even though he clearly played at a HOF level. Outside of the 20s I think he would be the HOF player with the fewest games. 65 is almost a hard quota. Battles played 60 games. While I argue for earlier eras with less games that unofficial quota is too strict 54 is on the low end of the spectrum of deserving longevity players IMO. For three of his five seasons he was also splitting touches with Herber so it's not like he was dominant the whole time, his case is built on his incredible last 3 seasons.

I think there should be a seperate process for the pre super bowl era that didn't get the same chance at induction. However Isbell being a finalist for the centennial class suggests he is near the top of the endless senior pool and has a good chance to make Canton even under the current system.