Cecil Isbell for Canton?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Eagles One

Cecil Isbell for Canton?

Post by Eagles One »

Although he only played five seasons, he was a Pro-Bowler four-times and All-Pro once. Led league twice in passing yardage and touchdowns. Named to the 1930s HOF team and won a championship with the Packers. His numbers are better than HOF contemporary Ace Parker and Benny Friedman.
Brian wolf

Re: Cecil Isbell for Canton?

Post by Brian wolf »

My thoughts are the same from the HOVG post about who was deserving and not. Isbell was a superior talent for sure.
Yet, considering Arnie Herber was elected to the HOF and Isbell followed him with only five seasons, not to mention Don Hutson making both QBs look good, I just dont feel he played long enough for either the HOF or HOVG. His last three years throwing the football were outstanding but I feel any player should play at least six years for any type of consideration. That extra year is big-time nitpicking but if voters added players to the HOF for great 3-5 year careers, it would double in size ...
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Brian wolf wrote:My thoughts are the same from the HOVG post about who was deserving and not. Isbell was a superior talent for sure.
Yet, considering Arnie Herber was elected to the HOF and Isbell followed him with only five seasons, not to mention Don Hutson making both QBs look good, I just dont feel he played long enough for either the HOF or HOVG. His last three years throwing the football were outstanding but I feel any player should play at least six years for any type of consideration. That extra year is big-time nitpicking but if voters added players to the HOF for great 3-5 year careers, it would double in size ...

Gale Sayers had exactly five HOF type seasons and Terrell Davis had four HOF type seasons, even though they played a little longer, those years were well below par for both.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Friedman is as much a contemporary of Isbell as Steve Young is of Aaron Rodgers. Parker is one of the running QBs of that era, so he gets extra consideration on those merits, although I think he is the only one of those besides Friedman who got in and I do find his case borderline. I'd say I prefer Isbell and possibly Ed Danowski for their respective careers, but the MVP definitely helps Parker.

I like Isbell, I use him frequently in statistical analyses of the best passers of that era, but HOF? Nah. 5 years for a QB just isn't enough. If his career was cut short due to war service, it might be a different story, but dude quit on his team to go coach at Purdue.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

It was a different era -- some HOF/HOVG type talents left the game early to start other careers. Football didn't pay well enough in those days to turn down opportunities. Also, Isbell may have felt, like Johnny Lujack, that he wanted to repay his alma mater by serving there as a coach. Davey O'Brien left football to join the FBI. I know of another player who turned down Halas altogether to become an FBI agent because it paid much better.

Now, honestly, I don't know if any of that had to do with Isbell leaving pro ball for sure, but I do think certain retirements can be viewed more as career changes in the earlier days of football. You talk to guys who played in the 1960s and even the 70s and they might tell you how that they left early because the right job opened up.

So, in the 1940s and earlier, that's certainly something I might take into account given evidence of why somebody had a shorter NFL career.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

I do not see Isbell getting in before Dilweg or Lewellen. One of those two guys would be the next Lambeau Packer in, if any get in.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Ken Crippen wrote:I do not see Isbell getting in before Dilweg or Lewellen. One of those two guys would be the next Lambeau Packer in, if any get in.
Preach sir
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

To be honest, Sterling Sharpe will probably get elected before Dilweg, Lewellen or Isbell. Fans have to put the pressure on the HOF to go back to two seniors elected per year ... hopefully starting by 2023/2024 ...
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

No for me. Short career with 1 or 2 great seasons. I wouldn't say he was a contemporary of Friedman. I think that's off due to rules and equipment, well the ball, changes. I also don't think one can make the argument Isbell was as far ahead of his peers as Friedman was. He also had Don Hutson which I think helps his numbers. There's a handful of players I'd even put in the HOVG before him, but I'm guessing he's already in, sports moot point.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Wow T&S ... thought you might endorse Isbell for the HOF. I feel if Herber wasnt already elected, Cecil might get more consideration but the Centennial Class would have been his best shot.