Aaron Donald

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Hail Casares

Re: Aaron Donald

Post by Hail Casares »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
Hail Casares wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:For my money, Alan Page was the best pass rushing tackle ever, with 148 unofficial sacks. Donald can easily catch that number if he continues to play and produce at his current pace. Staying healthy is important but I feel he has a lot of football left and wont retire anytime soon.
FWIW, there are rumors he might be done.
Why do you say that? Donald made it seem the other day he was coming back in 2022.
Because prior to the parade that was the rumor. Hence why him saying he was coming back was a big deal. He was asked minutes after the SB win if he was going to retire.
racepug

Post by racepug »

The guy is absolutely incredible. I don't see any way that Aaron Donald doesn't make it into the P.F.H.o.F. I think he's every bit the "lock" that guys like Peyton Manning and Jerry Rice were and Tom Brady will be.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

My question was not whether Donald is a HOFer. That's fairly obvious. The question was whether he is a first-ballot HOFer. I think he cemented that eventuality with the SB.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

I find the first ballot thing to be silly. While we know everyone in the Hall at a given position isn't equal not all ballots are equal and when someone gets in it is circumstantial. The current system is based on the timing of other players retirements and speed of induction can never be fully based on a players feats. Some years it's easier than others and many candidates who didn't get in first ballot are better than ones that did. Other years the voters want to reward guys who've been waiting awhile. I think it's largely a prompt so there's something else for the media to argue about. It's not a meaningful superlative IMO.

Disclaimer aside though yes. I find the conversation about him being the defensive goat to be silly and present bias(I concur with above posts and think Page is goat DT though Page did have Marshall) but just the fact that conversation is being had says all you need to know. That being said I thought Ware was a sure first ballot this year and was almost shocked he didn't get in but Donald is more of a no brainer than Ware. The only scenario I see is if he were to retire right now that 2027 class is shaping up to be as difficult a ballot as we've ever seen and he'd only have 8 seasons. So that'd be a scenario where he might have to wait but otherwise I think hes automatic.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Zero26 wrote:I find the first ballot thing to be silly.
I'm with you. Completely. I can't believe it's gotten to the point where some people seem to think that a player isn't a true Hall-of-Famer unless he makes it in the very first time he's eligible. Making it sound as though not getting "in on the first ballot" is something to be ashamed of. Are you kidding me? I guess my vocabulary isn't large enough for me to adequately convey how stupid I truly think that is.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

racepug wrote:
Zero26 wrote:I find the first ballot thing to be silly.
I guess my vocabulary isn't large enough for me to adequately convey how stupid I truly think that is.
Duly noted.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JeffreyMiller wrote: Duly noted.
Perhaps you can start a PFRA grassroots movement to create a Silly Hall of Fame?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

My vocabulary is insufficient to define the criteria for such a hall ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JeffreyMiller wrote:My vocabulary is insufficient to define the criteria for such a hall ...

Let me help. Criteria for PFRA Silly Hall of Fame: player has to be named Andy Dorris.

Inaugural Silly HOF Class of 2022
Andy Dorris
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Andy Dorris?