Sean McVay

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Sean McVay

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Five years in - all winning seasons thus far, four playoff berths, two Super Bowls with one of them a Lombardi! And just 36 years old! He's just about to pass the 'bus test' if perhaps, just maybe, he hasn't already. If only because of Vermeil's super-small sample-size while with the Rams, Sean would have to already be the all-time best HC the franchise has had. Family ties does help! After college he immediately got, not a graduate-assistant job at a college, but landed an NFL assistant gig under Jon Gruden! He obviously has proven he deserved immediate NFL employment in the first place.

Already a HOFer (if only because of these accolades at such a young age for a HC), or not yet?

What SB-winning HCs would you already place him above?
Brian wolf

Re: Sean McVay

Post by Brian wolf »

Luck is involved as well. He inherited a tough but .500 team from Fisher with a talented RB in Gurley, and QB in Goff, though they were moving to LA. They got away with the non-call against the Saints but only scored 3 pts in the SB against NE, never using Gurley enough. Then they give up on their #1 QB in Goff but successfully roll the dice with Stafford. They also signed free agents in Miller and OBJ that most teams wouldnt have gotten rid of ... Had Hopkins stayed healthy for the Cardinals their postseason would have been different. They did what they had to do and McVay deserves credit.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Personally I don't think McVay is a GREAT coach. He has won with a lot of talent. How would he do with less? You definitely have to credit him with Stafford this year, pretty good coaching job. Brian mentioned the no call against New Orleans, which he followed up with a terrible performance in SB LIII. Take away his 4-0 run to the SB this year, and he is 3-3 in the playoffs, which is just OK. Just because a coach wins a championship, does not mean (to me) they are a HOFer.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Personally I don't think McVay is a GREAT coach. He has won with a lot of talent. How would he do with less?
He got his team to the Super Bowl with Jared Goff as his QB and then he won a Super Bowl with Matt Stafford as his QB...I think those two achievements prove McVay's coaching greatness. How many coaches have made it to the Super Bowl with multiple QBs?
Brian wolf wrote:Luck is involved as well. He inherited a tough but .500 team from Fisher with a talented RB in Gurley, and QB in Goff, though they were moving to LA.
I agree with this. Fisher was a terrible coach. All his Rams teams did was cheap shot people like Glanville's Oilers, but at least the Oilers won some games. McVay stepped into a situation where the roster had much more talent than the record indicated. Same thing happened with Jim Harbaugh in SF...the Niners had a lot of talent but they had Mike Singletary as their HC.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Bryan wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Personally I don't think McVay is a GREAT coach. He has won with a lot of talent. How would he do with less?
He got his team to the Super Bowl with Jared Goff as his QB and then he won a Super Bowl with Matt Stafford as his QB...I think those two achievements prove McVay's coaching greatness. How many coaches have made it to the Super Bowl with multiple QBs?
Bill Cowher
George Seifert
Dick Vermeil
Don Shula
Andy Reid
Bud Grant
Tom Landry
Joe Gibbs
John Fox
Bill Parcells
Dan Reeves

Not counting the pre-super bowl era.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I dont believe Fisher was a terrible coach, his teams were always tough and competitive but it didnt help he had a QB made of glass like Bradford and draft busts like Tavon Austin and Brian Quick. He even had pre-SB Nick Foles but hardly anyone to throw to ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote:I dont believe Fisher was a terrible coach, his teams were always tough and competitive but it didnt help he had a QB made of glass like Bradford and draft busts like Tavon Austin and Brian Quick. He even had pre-SB Nick Foles but hardly anyone to throw to ...
He had a bad rep in the NFL after awhile. Not surprising that Gregg Williams was his protege. Multiple choice trivia!

Jeff Fisher was a head coach in the NFL for 22 seasons. How many times did his team have a winning record?

a) 15
b) 12
c) 9
d) 6
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right Bryan, with Fisher only having six winning seasons but from 1999-2003 he had a championship caliber team but I will stand by what I have always believed ... The NFL has always tried to be about big-market teams, which is why they want teams in LA and small market teams, like Nashville and others, rarely win a championship. GB has had two HOF QBs, yet only two championships since 1996. TB hadnt won since 2003 but got Tom Brady. KC got their first championship since 1970 with a superstar QB in Mahomes. The Steelers havent won again since 2011. Yes, small market teams can win but the NFL still frowns upon it ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:Youre right Bryan, with Fisher only having six winning seasons but from 1999-2003 he had a championship caliber team but I will stand by what I have always believed ... The NFL has always tried to be about big-market teams, which is why they want teams in LA and small market teams, like Nashville and others, rarely win a championship. GB has had two HOF QBs, yet only two championships since 1996. TB hadnt won since 2003 but got Tom Brady. KC got their first championship since 1970 with a superstar QB in Mahomes. The Steelers havent won again since 2011. Yes, small market teams can win but the NFL still frowns upon it ...
Green Bay is the smallest market in the NFL and they have won the most championship in history.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right sluggermatt15 ... thats why GB and Pittsburgh get more leeway than newer teams, though the Chiefs have been around since 1960. A rich team history will do that. I hope the Titans can prove me wrong and one day win a championship but we will see. It still amazes me that the Packers have won only twice since 1997.
They have had plenty of chances but you always wonder.

A commentator wrote this on PFT ... "When asked by the NFL Network shortly before the victory parade about the transition moving from St.Louis to LA, Rams owner Kroenke stated, " Yes, we have been waiting on this a few years now -- long pause-- the NFL has a process and we followed the process " ... AWKWARD.

I agree. Games are decided on the field but dont think teams and more importantly, "storylines" get a push along the way.