AFL Players' HOF Worthiness

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: AFL Players' HOF Worthiness

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Actually, just realized that Abner Hayes didn't make Lou Saban's '67 Broncos either. So that's a trio from this discussion.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I've often thought Lionel Taylor and Abner Haynes belong, too.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Fumbles hurt Haynes career. The Jets gave up on him as well, though it may have been because he wasnt a good enough blocker for Joe Mealticket. The Dolphins mysteriously quit giving him the ball in 1967 but fumbles may have been the culprit again but he was too exciting a player to just ignore. Being a fan of Weeb Ewbank and the Jets, I wish they could have kept him.

I still think he would have been in the HOF, had he not angered GM Jack Steadman by helping organize the 1964/65 AFL boycott of the All-Star game. That led to the trade to Denver.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Great call on Gonsoulin, GameBeforeTheMoney ...

I never knew he played that well for the Niners after leaving the Broncos. He was a great AFL player but the talent that the Broncos had -- and gave up -- was staggering.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Did not previously know about the Hayes/Steadman disagreement. That's very interesting info. Abner is one of those guys that's for some reason been left out of serious HOF discussions at both the college and pro level, which is too bad.

I do wonder if players that played for multiple teams before the 1970s generally (not all the time) stand at a disadvantage because they didn't get a sort of "greatness" identity with one team/fanbase. In the case of Hayes, he played pro ball in Dallas, KC, Denver, Miami, and New York. Had the Texans stayed in Dallas and he played his whole career there, getting to play in SB 1, maybe scores a touchdown in SB 1, does that enhance his identity and visibility and get him in? I don't know. But that's something I've often thought about with certain players who had excellent careers with multiple franchises/cities in the early days. Ron McDole might be another AFL guy who's in that category. Playing at that level for eighteen years with Buffalo, I mean maybe he gets in a long time ago.

And the Broncos talent and potential talent in the early years of that team - they could have been a dynasty. I think we've discussed that 1964 draft before but if you look at their drafts from 62-65, had they gotten those guys in a combined draft, that team would have been unbelievable (a lot of HOF and a lot of Pro Bowlers). Makes me wonder who was in their scouting department! Plus, as you alluded to, they had some excellent players that were on their roster. Many were traded, some just didn't get used well.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

I think there's a substantial chance the all decade teams get inducted in the 2060s as some sort of 100 year celebration. Until then I don't think they are going to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole because they'll never really be a right time. I don't think that's the right way to handle this but I think that's the way it eventually gets handled.

Otis Taylor and Cookie Gilchrist are the AFL players whose cases I care the most about. Grayson probably has the best chance of getting inducted in the near future.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

If the HOF can add Ray Lewis on first ballot ... there is no reason they cant put in Jim Tyrer. Yes, they don't want the negative publicity but they will get some anyway when Antonio Brown and Adrian Peterson get elected, though maybe not because people had forgotten the antics of Randy Moss and TO as well. Tyrer may never get sympathy but his tragic death was after his playing career was over and should not hold him back for election IMO ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Zero26 wrote:I think there's a substantial chance the all decade teams get inducted in the 2060s as some sort of 100 year celebration. Until then I don't think they are going to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole because they'll never really be a right time. I don't think that's the right way to handle this but I think that's the way it eventually gets handled.

Otis Taylor and Cookie Gilchrist are the AFL players whose cases I care the most about. Grayson probably has the best chance of getting inducted in the near future.
Ken Crippen pointed out in another thread that the selectors barely look at pre-1970 nowadays. Anything before that, forget it.

I hope you're right that more pre-merger and pre-NFL players get inducted but I just don't see it.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
Zero26 wrote:I think there's a substantial chance the all decade teams get inducted in the 2060s as some sort of 100 year celebration. Until then I don't think they are going to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole because they'll never really be a right time. I don't think that's the right way to handle this but I think that's the way it eventually gets handled.

Ken Crippen pointed out in another thread that the selectors barely look at pre-1970 nowadays. Anything before that, forget it.

I hope you're right that more pre-merger and pre-NFL players get inducted but I just don't see it.
im with sluggermatt15 on this 100%
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

I don't think the reason the HOF electors have not elected Tyrer is because of his tragic death. It's because he murdered his wife.